Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

hi ladies I'm thinking about talking to my doctor about weight loss surgery. I've talked to a doctor about it before but that was almost 3 years ago and i told him i wanted to loss the weight on my own and the most i have lost is 8 pounds. so my question is if anyone who have had it done if so do tricare cover it,how long is the recovery,and did you have any problem doing or after the surgery? I'm asking about all of this cause my husband will be going on a deployment for 6 to 9 months next year and i don't know if i want to do the surgery or not but if i should do it now before he leaves or should i just wait until he comes back to do it that's if i do. 

please be nice with your comments thanks

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:36 PM
This was a couple years ago, but I do know of a friend that had the lap band surgery which Tricare covered. It works really well for her.
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

alot depends on the type of surgery you get-

the military will pay for it but you have to be a a specific weight based on your age and hieght- my friend who is 5'8 and 31 years old had to be 80 lbs over weight before they would consider her, she had to go to months of therapy, had to show she could lose weight ( she had to show she could lose 20 lbs) she had to take months of nutrition classes and then got counselled that the surgery could fail, that she could end up on a feeding tube and lose the ability to digest food. She decided not to do the surgery and went on weight watchers, that was last year and she is down almost 60 lbs - she goes to the gym every day, runs 2-3 miles 3 days a week.

my sister got gastric by pass 2 years ago- she was 385 lbs. she is down to 180 and is starting to show some complications- she cannot eat any kind of bread, rice or legume. she cannot drink any kind of soda. she now has to eat 7-8 times a day because she gets physically ill if she eats bigger meals.

my other sister had the gastric done a year before my middle sister- she is down to 125 lbs and is now on a feeding tube because she cannot eat enough calories so she has to be tube fed an ensure type product at night, she is hooked up to this machine for 12 hours a night.

both of my sisters are in thier 40's, both regret getting the surgery- they hate the way the surgery changed thier lives and how it has made them live.

I thought about the surgery too- but decided I got myself fat I can get myself unfat- I have lost 23 lbs and have another 26 to go- I go to the gym at 5:30  am 5 days a week, walk 2 miles a day every day -eat right and watch my calories. I went from a 16-18 to a 12-14 my goal is to get back into 10-12's by next year when we go to scotland for our anniversary. :)

it is a very personal decision- but weigh the odds for yourself, do not think the side effects cannot happen to you and decide whether your ok with the risks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM
[ name="gunsgirl" id="0"]

alot depends on the type of surgery you get-

the military will pay for it but you have to be a a specific weight based on your age and hieght- my friend who is 5'8 and 31 years old had to be 80 lbs over weight before they would consider her, she had to go to months of therapy, had to show she could lose weight ( she had to show she could lose 20 lbs) she had to take months of nutrition classes and then got counselled that the surgery could fail, that she could end up on a feeding tube and lose the ability to digest food. She decided not to do the surgery and went on weight watchers, that was last year and she is down almost 60 lbs - she goes to the gym every day, runs 2-3 miles 3 days a week.

my sister got gastric by pass 2 years ago- she was 385 lbs. she is down to 180 and is starting to show some complications- she cannot eat any kind of bread, rice or legume. she cannot drink any kind of soda. she now has to eat 7-8 times a day because she gets physically ill if she eats bigger meals.

my other sister had the gastric done a year before my middle sister- she is down to 125 lbs and is now on a feeding tube because she cannot eat enough calories so she has to be tube fed an ensure type product at night, she is hooked up to this machine for 12 hours a night.

both of my sisters are in thier 40's, both regret getting the surgery- they hate the way the surgery changed thier lives and how it has made them live.

I thought about the surgery too- but decided I got myself fat I can get myself unfat- I have lost 23 lbs and have another 26 to go- I go to the gym at 5:30  am 5 days a week, walk 2 miles a day every day -eat right and watch my calories. I went from a 16-18 to a 12-14 my goal is to get back into 10-12's by next year when we go to scotland for our anniversary. :)

it is a very personal decision- but weigh the odds for yourself, do not think the side effects cannot happen to you and decide whether your ok with the risks.

[/quote]

I'm 5'4 230 lbs have a had time trying to get to the gym only cause I have 2 small kids I do go walking almost everyday I'm just upset I've always been big but u was OK with it Cause I was still about to run and a lot of things people my size couldn't do (160 lbs) but after having my second child the weight just want come off I don't know what to do next I go see nutrition next week but now with the information you gave me I think I'm going to give it another shot to loss it on my own thanks
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 7, 2014 at 4:04 PM
I knew a girl who did it and it was covered by Tricare. She looked sickly going through the weight loss phase and after 4ish years she is fat again. Have you looked into adipex? My sister is overweight and her PCM prescribed it to her and she lost a lot if weight. Good luck either way.
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I would wait until he gets back. 

SusanD
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:59 PM
I have a few friends, coworkers, etc who have had weight loss surgeries. A few of them had the gastric sleeve procedure (4 of them) and they have all lost significant amounts of weight. None of which have suffered ill effects.

I have a friend who had traditional bypass, and she has issues with her bowels. She suffers from dumping syndrome, and if she eats something that is too fatty she has bowel control issues.

I know of a person who had Lapband as well. She did well initially, but after losing a lot of weight she stopped getting the band filled (not sure if it was her choice or a dr/coverage issue). After that she put back on a good portion of the weight she had lost. Also, after she had lost the weight you could sort of see the port of the band if you knew what to look for if you saw her abdomen.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:53 AM

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN