Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Bordem Questions

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 4:52 PM
  • 27 Replies

Do you ladies get tired of the constant moving and wanna just be done on occasion? For the most part, I am good. But every now and then, I just wanna go home.

Also, I know some of you rent out your homes. Mind sharing pros and cons? My husband wants to buy, but since I know there is no possible way we will be staying forever and we plan on moving back home when he retires, I think it would be a bad move. Looking for input.

As I said, I am bored today.

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:46 PM

We haven't moved since 2007.  We won't move again for a LONG time.  We're here to stay and we will stay here once my husband retires.  I was sick of moving in 2007 when we lived in 3 different states in 1 year.  Now, I'm good:)

We have 2 homes...one we live in and the other one we rent out.  We have great tenants and couldn't ask for better ones.  Our rental house is about 15 minutes from our main home.  We manage it ourselves.  

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:51 PM

We have been stuck at this one place. I actually prefer to move every 3 years or so. I have been going stir-crazy for the last couple of years. 

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm way too old to want to go home. I would never go back to my hometown, anyway ... there's nothing there. We did our final move last year, so our next move will be when we buy a home.
SusanD
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM
I've gotten to where I am ready for this ride to be over. I'm hoping that 1 more PCS, and a move to wherever we decide to call home is all that is left...hopefully.

I'm ready to buy a house and settle down lol.
sahmw2010
by Beth on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Quoting SusanD: I've gotten to where I am ready for this ride to be over. I'm hoping that 1 more PCS, and a move to wherever we decide to call home is all that is left...hopefully. I'm ready to buy a house and settle down lol.

thats how I feel! I think my main issue, since I am so bored today, is I can no longer call up my momma and be like, "im bored, wanna check out an antique mall or go window shopping?" not as fun alone with 3 kiddos. lol

patsfan13
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:19 PM
We'd love to be able to move back home after DH retires but there is nothing for us back there. We have at least another 2 years and another deployment before he'll be up for orders to someplace different.

I am definitely ready to settle down and buy our own house. I hate not being able to paint or fix up our home to suit our needs. Oh and living on post in a small home because there is no way a family of 3 needs more than 1,000sq ft (sigh and eye roll). Unfortunately, we've got at least another 6 years before that's going to happen.
adoptivemomof1
by Mel on Jul. 8, 2014 at 2:43 AM
I love and miss my family but do not want to go home. We get along better in my family with some distance ;) and they visit lots. I think we are here for four years and then I would like to go somewhere to put down our own roots- just not sure where...
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:52 AM
1 mom liked this

The whole "going home" thing...that's something I do everyday, come home after being gone.  My home is with my husband and son....not with my parents.  That hasn't been my home in a LONG time.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:34 AM

I don't really want to "go home" because my family doesn't really live in the state I spent most of my childhood. I wish I could say we were staying here permanently though. I like it here. DH started making noise about figuring out our new base of preference list last week and after struggling with it for a day I set it aside(we have another year here so no emergency). My mom is nearing retirement and she would love to be able to live closer to us but can't move out here since we aren't staying and that's hard. I have her 1 and only grandson and she wants to spend time with him. Since we never thought she'd make it to retirement(she had colon cancer when I was just in high school) I would like to spend more time with her too! It's tough. I couldn't wait to get out of our last duty station and now that we are in a place I really enjoy and I think is a good fit for our family we will probably have to leave and that sucks but it is what it is.

JamieC0403
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:48 AM
We are currently on recruiter duty about an hour away from my family. It's great that we can easily go visit and they can come see us and it's an area with lots to do, but sucks that my husband works a lot. I can't see us living here when he gets out though. We're not really sure where we want to settle down, but we've got at least another 4 years to go.

The boredom does suck. The last place we lived had very little to do and there was a stretch that there was no one there I knew. Eventually some friends PCSed in, but sometimes trying to make new friends in a new area can be difficult. I know I tried doing the spouses club activities at that base, but most events were during the day (I work) and I really didn't have much in common with the women at the couple meetings I went to.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN