Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Do you take on different accents?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 1:46 PM
  • 25 Replies

I was reading a random fact that humans will imitate the speech of someone with a stong accent due to empathy and to create a bond with them and to assimilate with them or the situation.

I was thinking about it and realized that I have done this. While I do have a "Texan" accent, when I visit my friends in Louisiana, I find myself with a bit more of a southern drawl and a bit of that Cajan accent to go with it. I don't do it consciously it just seems to happen.

When you go to new places or are around people with different or strong accents, do you find yourself sounding more like them than yourself?

by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmeow
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 1:48 PM

My best friend here is from South Dakota, and sometimes I do my "oh's" funny accidentally when we hang out too much..

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 1:50 PM
No! Lol
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Yeah, a little. By my accent, it's obvious I'm not native Texan (thank goodness) but I've lost some of my northern midwest accent over time.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

no

Reina13
by Reina on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I have done that with my friend from Minnesota. She laughs and thinks its funny but I don't do it on purpose. 

Quoting kmeow:

My best friend here is from South Dakota, and sometimes I do my "oh's" funny accidentally when we hang out too much..

ashton82186
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Yep lol happy I'm not the only one lol :)
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Yep! I've lost some, if not most, of my MN accent but it always seems to find its way back to me after a couple beers. ;) It also seems to find its way back when I visit my family back home.
outtamymynd
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM
Not me, but I noticed that My ex husband seems to have picked up a southern accent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Reina13
by Reina on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:57 PM

LOL. Now I wonder if people think I am doing it on purpose to make fun of them or something.

Quoting ashton82186: Yep lol happy I'm not the only one lol :)

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jul. 15, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Not for the reason you're asking about no. I use different accents/voices because I'm weird.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)