Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Just finished field training... now what?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 3:56 PM
  • 12 Replies

My hubbs recently returned from field training and I know that the Colonel will be offering a contract before the semester starts back up again. B/c of budget cuts he didn't get paid while he was gone and we are a little under water financially. Basically we are trying to decide if we want to continue with the current route (go to school get in a ton of debt from school loans and hopefully become an officer, if he doesn't finish school he would have to enlist) or take a year off school to work and pay off our current school loans and apply to the Texas State Troopers. Any thoughts or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. 

by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:33 PM
I would keep doing what he's doing.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:16 AM

Welcome to the group!  Why would he not finish school if he chooses to go that route?  What is he going to school for?  

TAG9lbs
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:06 AM
I hope you keep asking and poking around different places. I don't think you are exploring all your options.
EsthersMom2014
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM
He may not finish in the time allotted b/c we can't afford for him to take more than 12 credits at a time. He was doing computer engineering but recently switched to Spanish. He is fluent in Spanish so that shouldn't be too hard.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome to the group!  Why would he not finish school if he chooses to go that route?  What is he going to school for?  

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I hope you guys are able to come to a decision that you are both happy with.
SneezyAl
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:35 AM
Your husband isn't getting any financial assistance through ROTC?
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:19 AM

Good luck to him!

Quoting EsthersMom2014: He may not finish in the time allotted b/c we can't afford for him to take more than 12 credits at a time. He was doing computer engineering but recently switched to Spanish. He is fluent in Spanish so that shouldn't be too hard.
Quoting darbyakeep45:

EsthersMom2014
by New Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:03 AM
No he isn't thanks to the gov't shut down. His time window came and went during all that crap. He applied afterwards but was denied.

Quoting SneezyAl: Your husband isn't getting any financial assistance through ROTC?
anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 10:11 AM
4 moms liked this

He needs to go to the ROTC office on campus and talk directly with them.  He may have missed the deadline for one year, but could reapply for another.  When you talk directly with people (as in make an appointment and go to see them) it makes a huge difference--rather than just emailing--in getting people to actually help you with something.  He also needs to think about what he an do with his major (you mentioned that he was changing his major) and whether or not there are jobs for people with that major and degree after graduation. 

SneezyAl
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM
He needs to have a serious talk with the ROTC commander to see what his chances are of getting accepted as an officer. If his degree is in demand he will have a better chance, but those who were given scholarships are going to be picked first since they have so much money invested in them already. If his chances of being selected aren't good he could always go enlisted, finish his degree when he is active duty and has tuition assistance, then put in for a package to become an officer. He will already be at a higher rank since he has college credits.

Is he Army or Air Force?

Quoting EsthersMom2014: No he isn't thanks to the gov't shut down. His time window came and went during all that crap. He applied afterwards but was denied.

Quoting SneezyAl: Your husband isn't getting any financial assistance through ROTC?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)