Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

5 Things Military Movers Want You to Know

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM
  • 26 Replies

Reposted from military.com

5 Things Military Movers Want You to Know

I am a packer. I work for a moving company, and I go to houses every day and pack military family belongings. I  have so much respect for these military families and everything they go through.

I enjoy my job… Most of the time. But when I see comments on SpouseBuzz and other websites about how packers and movers are all thieves and disrespectful, and that they need you to hover over them while they pack and load, I feel sad.

I want you to know our point of view.

5 things you didn’t know about military movers:

We don’t come to your house to make your life more stressful, even though it may seem like we do. Moving is stressful to start with, but maybe you feel like we make it worse because you are not organized to start with? If  we walk into a home and it is unorganized or messy, or you pull everything off the walls and out of your cabinets and set it on the counters, tables and floors, it makes our jobs 10 times harder. And that makes your move more stressful. We have to constantly ask questions, ask you to move things or possibly end up accidentally breaking something when you do this.

We are not maids. We are at your home to pack up your belongings, not clean. I was sent to help a crew pack a house once, and my day was going pretty good until I stepped foot in their home.

I almost turned around and left. The couches were soiled with urine and food. The floors were slippery from dog pee. The crib had poop stuck to it, including the walls surrounding it. But the only room that was halfway clean was the master bedroom to which I got assigned.

After I packed it all up the owner walked in and asked why there were still things on the floor. I said it was because they were empty soda cans, and she told me to pack those, too. So I crawled on my hands and knees and picked-up trash off the floor.

The next day I found a rash on my wrists, then my arms, then my elbows, and went to the emergency room. I had SCABIES — yes, scabies! I was mortified. They spread to my daughter. And that’s when I put my foot down and refused to pack a dirty house.

We should not have to work in those conditions, but we do because if we refuse to pack a house, that’s refusing money to put food on the table for our families.

Not all of us steal. I have enough respect for you and my company to not take something that is not mine. Pretty much common sense, right? Well, some people like to stand over us while we’re packing, presumably to make sure we don’t take their things. That’s like saying “Hey, I think you’re a thief, so I’m going to stand here and watch you.” We hate that — especially those of us that aren’t thieves. We don’t need anyone standing over us to get the job done.

We don’t break anything on purpose — accidents happen. Most of us don’t deliberately throw your items in a box so that they will break. I take my time and treat your items as if they were my own. I don’t want to break something that costs more than my car.

We don’t expect you to tip or provide water — but it’s nice when you do.  We come to work with our own lunch and water, we do not expect you to provide any of that. We do get paid to come to your house and provide a service.

But common courtesy is still nice. I recently had Direct TV installed in my house, and while the serviceman was outside in the sun installing satellites and crawling in the attic hooking up wires, we did offer him a cold beverage. To me that’s just common courtesy — when you have a guest in your home you make them feel comfortable. That’s just the way I was raised. But we don’t not expect you to do so.

I’ve had shippers who have made me cry and pushed me to my limits, but I would never disrespect anyone. I was taught to respect my elders and have some manners.

But our job is not easy. We do not get paid as much as everyone thinks, especially those of us who are packers.

Please don’t think that all of us are out to ruin your things or mess up your home and steal your stuff. When I walk into your home I’m there to get the job done right and leave your home in the condition it was when I arrived.

The author of this piece asked that his name not be used to protect his employment.

What kind of experiences have you had with military movers? 

by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2014 at 11:16 AM

When you are getting paid to do a job, you bring your own water, in a jug if you're going to be there for a long amount of time, and you bring your own lunch. The military does not bring lunch for my husband and soda or lemonade, he brings it to work. Make sure you bring all your stuff with you. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 16, 2014 at 11:19 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

When you are getting paid to do a job, you bring your own water, in a jug if you're going to be there for a long amount of time, and you bring your own lunch. The military does not bring lunch for my husband and soda or lemonade, he brings it to work. Make sure you bring all your stuff with you. 

Um, the person in the article clearly stated they bring their own lunch and water. Did you miss that?

Reina13
by Reina on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:14 PM

We never had a negative experience with movers before. We had a few dings on our furniture but nothing that I would cry about nor did we have anything missing.

As a courtesy, we always offer bottled water or cold drinks to anyone who is working in our home. It's just a nice thing to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM

She said it's common courtesy to do so. Does your boss or your husband's 1st sgt or Commander offer you/him free drinks and food? Do you understand where I'm going with this?

BTW, she claims they are guests in the home, no they are hired professional packers. Do you offer your maid food or drinks? Do you offer the carpet cleaner food or drinks? Do you offer your pest control food or drinks? Do you offer the cable company food or drinks?

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Quoting Anonymous:

Um, the person in the article clearly stated they bring their own lunch and water. Did you miss that?

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, actually, they do. People always bring in food to share. 

Quoting Anonymous:

She said it's common courtesy to do so. Does your boss or your husband's 1st sgt or Commander offer you/him free drinks and food? Do you understand where I'm going with this?

BTW, she claims they are guests in the home, no they are hired professional packers. Do you offer your maid food or drinks? Do you offer the carpet cleaner food or drinks? Do you offer your pest control food or drinks? Do you offer the cable company food or drinks?

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Quoting Anonymous:

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes to all of your questions.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Quoting Anonymous:

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I had the garage door repair man here the other day and gave him some sweet tea. When I lived in WI, we would put out hot chocolate for the mail man in wintertime. People who have been hired to do a service in my home are treated graciously.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Yes to all of your questions.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM

The only thing about this that bugs me is implying we are disorganized and/or messy. I am hyper organized and when moving I'm even worse because I'm a control freak. I'm not standing over you because I think you're going to steal something(if it's important it's in my vehicle anyway) I'm standing over you because I want the extra pieces and parts in that ziplock bag labeled with what furniture it goes to. I want my sheets and towels in a marked box so I don't have to guess when I get there. I am watching to make sure a drawer isn't skipped or a closet is forgotten. Yes, you are a professional packer but accidents happen and things get misplaced, mislabeled, or just missed. I will offer you water and if you're busting your butt probably lunch too because I appreciate your hard work, possibly sweaty conditions, and because it's polite. And just as you are judging us from your previous experiences, we are judging you....

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 1:04 PM
I have no problem with the those things. I wouldn't work in a dirty house either.
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jul. 16, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I always feed and hydrate my movers. The guys that packed up my house got Subway, and I had plenty of soda, water, and tea in the fridge plus snacks out that I said they could help themselves too.

That second point in the article with the nasty house? FUCK THAT. I would have turned my ass right around called my boss and said "CPS needs to be here not us." How do people live like that!? ICK. How did they get past the pre-move inspector guy with shit smeared all over the place?

I've never had a bad experience, my movers have always been super awesome.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN