Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Lowe's Employees Fix Vet's Wheelchair After VA Refuses

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:50 PM
  • 6 Replies

Lowe's Employees Fix Vet's Wheelchair After VA Refuses & It Falls Apart

by Jenny Erikson

WheelchairFaith in humanity restored. On July 7, Vietnam War veteran Michael Sulsona was shopping at Lowe's Home Improvement Center when his wheelchair fell apart. He had been waiting for a new chair from the Veterans Administration, as his old one had become increasingly unusable, but had been told he's "not entitled to a spare wheelchair." He lost both of his legs above the knee when he stepped on a landmine in 1971 while serving his country.

Rather than awkwardly help him and ask who to call, three employees sprung into action fixing the war hero's busted wheelchair. By the time they left, 45 minutes after closing, it was as good as new.

Michael wrote a touching note to the local paper to share how grateful he was for the young men who had helped him.

Three employees, David, Marcus and Souleyman jumped to my assistance immediately. They placed me in another chair while they went to work.

They took the wheelchair apart and replaced the broken parts and told me, "We're going to make this chair like new." 

I left 45 minutes after closing hours in my wheelchair that was like new.

I kept thanking them and all they could say was, "It was our honor."

The actions of these three employees at Lowe's showed me there are some who still believe in stepping to the plate.

They didn't ask any questions, didn't feel the need to fill out any forms or make phone calls. Someone needed help and they felt privileged to be given the opportunity.

Oh my gosh, isn't that just incredible? Those guys didn't have to do that -- no one would've thought the lesser of them if they had just helped him up and made a phone call. But they totally took care of Michael, no questions asked. That's how we get things done, people.

As for the VA's office ... well, it's a little bit embarrassing for them. They caught wind of this incident and issued a statement saying they were "very sorry to hear about the reported circumstances surrounding Mr. Sulsona’s request for a new wheelchair," and that they could "report the Veteran’s new custom wheelchair was delivered to him today and it along with his back up will be serviced by the VA as needed."

Those Lowe's employees worked a miracle -- and I'm not just talking about fixing the wheelchair. They got the VA's office to actually deliver on something it was supposed to. Now that's talent.

Have you ever had the run around from the VA?

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:59 AM

I don't have any experience with the VA, but I'm glad these people helped out this veteran. 

hburnette3
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I read this on facebook.  but it doesn't say how Lowes reacted. 

JayRo00
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 4:56 AM

Great story! It's ashame how hard it is for vets to get things done through va. I was sent a letter from VA saying they were not covering the payments for THEM sending me to another hospital to get an ultrasound for blood clots. The reason VA sent me to that hospital was because THEY did not have the ultrasound machine available at the VA hospital. Umm..again, how is that my fault? Why should I be paying for them sending me to another hospital. Now I have to waste time and money to prove they are the ones that sent me to the other hospital. All they do is give vets the run around. 

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM

It's good to know there are still people out there who are willing to step up and help others.

Hubby got the run-around involving his claim processing - they said they lost his file at one point. Then they requested that he provide his own proof of health from a specific time period because the VA couldn't locate the records. We will never use the VA for care.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

CoBQmtp.jpg on those 3 employees

adoptivemomof1
by Mel on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:53 PM
This is a great story! It is heartening to see people will step up to help a vet. However, it is tragic that the VA did not in this case or so many others...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN