Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Why You Shouldn't Trust Military Doctors

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 5:39 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

Okay, so this happened over thirty years ago, but still...

I was hit by a car when we were in Germany.  We had only been there for a few months.  I was taken to a German hospital because they were the only ones qualified to work on me.  I had a sub-dermal hematoma.  A bruise on my brain.  I had landed on my head.  My left leg had been dislocated and rammed through my pelvis.  I had a grand-mal seizure and stroked out during the seizure.  I lost 35% of my brain due to the stroke.  I was paralyzed on my left side.  I had to learn how to do everything all over again.  I was in the hospital for quite some time.  They finally got my grand=mal seizures under control and I was released from the hospital.  My left side was practically crushed. 

I did however, keep having complex-partial seizures, the kind of seizures where it seems you are just staring off into space, but there is really much more to it than that. 

I did not receive any counseling for my ptsd or having to live with my injuries.  All kinds of emotional and physical problems followed me out of the hospital.  Even though I was walking and talking again, I was not the same.  My mom would take me to the hospital and ask them to find out what was going on with me, but they kept telling her that there was nothing wrong with me.  There is a test called an E.E.G. that would show them complex partial seizures.  But you have to stay up 24 hours before the test.  I remember the doctor telling my dad that I didn' have to, because at such a young age (11} I thought it would be cool to do that.  lol

I continued on the best I could.  Now let me say that these kinds of seizures sometimes come with hallucinations, visual and audio. 

Fast forward fifteen years.  I am now an adult.  I have been married and divorced twice already.  My insurance from my ex husband is about to expire.  I think I'm going crazy.  So I check into a hospital.  They did the EEG and had me stay awake 24 hours. They caught the seizures right away.  They explained to me about my stroke and the seizures.  I finally had my answers.  All those years of misery, all those years of confusion, could have been avoided.

Please if you feel that you are not being treated as you think you should, or your problem persist, see another doctor.

If you think this could only happen so long ago, you are wrong.  In 2005 my father was under VA care.  There was a giant, about six inches in diamiter, lump on his back.  I had to point it out to the doctors.  It was cancer.  He died in June of that year.  The doctor had him undress and was examining him when I had to point it out.

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 5:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 19, 2014 at 5:42 AM
6 moms liked this
So your bad experience means none of us should trust military doctors?
mrsary
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 5:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Earlier this year I kept going in saying something was wrong with me. Saw my PCM, a different doc, and 2 diff psychs. My PCM said its all in my head and I need to get back down to my normal skinny weight. The diferent doc accused me of malingering. The psychs told me to request tp get out the Army. Well one day at work the BIG thing happened... I had an almost deadly seizure and was hospitalized a few days then sent to inpatient treatment. Told those people I was sick to begin with. My blood pressure in that time before inpatient was so high the dentist wouldnt work on me. He would send me to ER every visit.
PogoPalOj
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 5:47 AM

I'm not the only one.  There are horror stories all around you.  Just ask.  You've been warned.  Don't get me wrong.  I loved growing up military.  I miss it.  I love my country.  I support the troops.  Always. Trust them if you want.  Do you really think it is just the VA that has let patients down?

Quoting cocoroo: So your bad experience means none of us should trust military doctors?

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 5:47 AM
2 moms liked this
I think shes just saying if we feel something is wrong, push it.

Quoting cocoroo: So your bad experience means none of us should trust military doctors?
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 5:47 AM
3 moms liked this
You shouldn't trust anyone 100%, but you should have a good amount of trust in your doctor! Sad they treated you and your family that way.
PogoPalOj
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 5:48 AM

Exactly.

Quoting mrsary: I think shes just saying if we feel something is wrong, push it.

cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 19, 2014 at 5:59 AM
7 moms liked this
Going off the title of the post, she is saying don't trust them. I always advocate for myself and my children. I know a ton of horror stories with military and civilian doctors alike.

Quoting mrsary: I think shes just saying if we feel something is wrong, push it.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:34 AM
3 moms liked this

Sounds like you had a really bad experience, and I'm sorry to hear that, but people have bad experiences all the time with civiian doctors and doctors at MTFs.  It has nothing to do with "military or non military" doctors.  ALL doctors whether they practice privately or at an MTF are required by law to have a medical license and they are all bound by the same medical board.  There are bad apples everywhere, and it has nothing to do with military or non military.  

PogoPalOj
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:46 AM

That may be so.  But many military dependants think that they should only see military doctors.  I am trying to encourage people to seek second, civilian opinions, when it seems the military doctors are not helping.  Btw I never had a civilian doctor shove his finger up my ass without a nurse present. {again I was a minor}  And I never had a civilian doctor tell me that it was myfault because my new husband was exposing himself to women and there was no need to report it to his comanding officer.  But you go ahead and believe what you want.

clligatoraoffee
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry for your experience, and yes I have heard the horror stories. But I have had nothing but excellent care through the military for myself. My kids not at first but I just switch pcms and the problem is fixed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN