Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Battalion Ball?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM
  • 7 Replies

What happens at a battalion ball? This is probably a dumb question but I really have no idea what to expect and always like to be overly prepared for social situations =P

Thanks in advance.

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 22, 2014 at 6:40 PM

No clue to be honest...I would assume it's similar to the Navy ball or the Submarine ball?  I'm just guessing...I know nothing about that stuff!  Hope you have a good time though.

sbranom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Lots of talking by commanders and guest speakers. It's why they normally have a social hour before, so people can get drunk enough to deal with it. 

cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:50 PM
I have no clue. My dh has been in almost 14 years, we have been married the entire time, and I have never been to a ball. I don't plan on starting anytime soon.
cpmommy
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Social hour first, where drinks can be purchased and pictures taken (if they offer professional photos; they usually do).  Then the receiving line, where you shake hands with the high-ups and their spouses.  You then find your table.  Soon after they do the toasts, National Anthem, stuff like that, you're then invited to sit (don't sit until they say to!).  At this point, the meal is usually served.  Once the meal is done, the guest of honor speaks.  After that, the Army song is sung.  Then on to the dancing part of the evening!  At that point, it's pretty much done, and you can leave whenever you want.  

This isn't exact, and it's been slightly different, depending on what type of unit the soldier is in.  But this is a general overview.  Hope this helps!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:51 AM

We've been to 2 of them....Sub ball right after we got married and then the Khaki ball when he made Chief 3 years ago.  That's enough for me!  LOL!

Quoting cocoroo: I have no clue. My dh has been in almost 14 years, we have been married the entire time, and I have never been to a ball. I don't plan on starting anytime soon.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh good I'm not the only one! DH has been in 16 years and we've been married for half of that but I've never been to a single ball. 

Quoting cocoroo: I have no clue. My dh has been in almost 14 years, we have been married the entire time, and I have never been to a ball. I don't plan on starting anytime soon.

denise3680
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM

went to my first dinning out recently.  Meet and greet  with the higher ups, lots of drinking and bs talk with everybody.  Lucked out and sat with a great group of people, (thank goodness no snobs or I outrank you so I ignore you type people) got tipsy and had a great time.  Lots of sitting and standing, lots of talking and awards being presented. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN