Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Question for all the Navy spouses in here.

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM
  • 9 Replies

When your SO joined the Navy was it a major adjustment?

My DH and I decided that it would be best for our family if he went back in the military and the Navy being the best option. I'm not so much worried as just anxious about the transition for our children and about life on base. 

We should be ready to head out to his first spot in about 3mos or less and I'm trying to gather all the knowledge I can about the life of a military spouse and how this life effects young children, 5yrs and younger, with the moving and changing schools ect ect. 

Just wanting some first hand knowledge. 

Thank you in advance. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
The life of a navy spouse varies quite a bit. My husband joined straight out of high school and didn't meet him until a couple of years later, right after he finished power school and right before he started on his first tour which was on a carrier.

We've never left my hometown and he's been stationed in this area since 1998. So we've never had to move the kids or anything. It's been a pretty smooth transition. He's eligible to retire at the end of his current tour.
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:40 PM
*I
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:49 AM

Has your husband talked to a recruiter?  Does he know what he'll be doing in the Navy?  That will be good information to have.  

My husband is on submarines in the Navy, and he had already been in the Navy for a few years prior to me meeting him.  We've lived in 4 states in the last 12 years.  

mrssummerlin
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:30 AM

He has. He hasn't picked a job just yet, but has it narrowed down to I think 6 or 7 options now. His recrutier wants him to pick 5 that are excepting E5's since he is very hopeful that they will take him at his former rank instead of him losing a strip. 

He also wants him to retake the ASVAB since it's been 13yrs since he first went into the Air Force. He took the practice a few days ago and the recruiter was really stocked about his score, so he's going Weds to take it at MEPS. 

some how I think he'll be going with a navy diver position.  

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Has your husband talked to a recruiter?  Does he know what he'll be doing in the Navy?  That will be good information to have.  

My husband is on submarines in the Navy, and he had already been in the Navy for a few years prior to me meeting him.  We've lived in 4 states in the last 12 years.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:24 AM

If he scores high on ASVAB, I would recommend going nuclear.  

Quoting mrssummerlin:

He has. He hasn't picked a job just yet, but has it narrowed down to I think 6 or 7 options now. His recrutier wants him to pick 5 that are excepting E5's since he is very hopeful that they will take him at his former rank instead of him losing a strip. 

He also wants him to retake the ASVAB since it's been 13yrs since he first went into the Air Force. He took the practice a few days ago and the recruiter was really stocked about his score, so he's going Weds to take it at MEPS. 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi and welcome, my husband was prior service, marine corps, before he decided to go navy. Get as much information as he can. The navy allowed my husband to keep his rank. It has been a good move for our family. We have enjoyed the places we have been stationed, the schools are out in town, as navy doesn't have schools on base. But it's been fine. CA was the only base we didn't deal with schools as our kids were too young. He is not on any ships, like my brother was, so we get him home a lot more than my SIL did. My brother was a MM, machines mate, nuclear engineer. My husband is a CE, construction electrician MUSE tech. Have him research all his options. If he can, and he should, get in contact with people who are currently in the NEC he wants to be in. They will give him a better idea of what to look forward to. My husband's recruiter gave him a few contacts of east and west coast Seabees who he was able to talk to about their CE rates. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM
My husband was in before we met.

My daughter will be three in a few months, we did a big move and a deployment at the same time and she adjusted just fine. She misses her friends and asks to see them all the time but less and less everyday. Skype is helpful and makes her happy to see them even though she can't play with them.
RKL10
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Former navy wife and having to move a lot really depends on his job my husband was an AE and didn't work on a ship he was at a command on base fixing helicopters. But his work schedule was crazy. I knew him before he joined and we had our daughter when he was in. One night he would be working nights next day days so it's constant change don't get your hopes up at all. My husband would deploy for shorter amounts of time but more frequent where as on a ship your out for almost a year sometimes. I hope you find the answers your looking for.
mrssummerlin
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM
He can't because of his age. The recruiter brought it up, though we could push for a waiver and see if they'd make the exception.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

If he scores high on ASVAB, I would recommend going nuclear.  

Quoting mrssummerlin:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN