Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Soldier Mom

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:16 PM
  • 8 Replies

I am a soldier and a mom.  My husband has never been in the service so he doesn't understand anything I ever talk about.  That's okay.  I like to keep my personal life and work life apart.  I am in the National Guard but I have been on active since March.  I have been gone from my family for only two weeks and it is so hard.  My daughter is a year old and doesn't understand why i am gone.  She cries and doesn't sleep well.  It makes me so sad.  I like serving my country but sometimes I feel like I am ready to just get out.  I resigned my contract almost a year ago.  It was a silly mistake.  I really shouldn't have done it.  I go to the field for five days and won't be able to talk or FaceTime my baby girl.  I know I shouldn't be complaining but I miss mher so much.

by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Welcome and hugs!  There are several members who have been where you are.  I wish you the best!

24clark
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:02 AM

I can understand that it is difficult, that is why you are part of the 1% that have chosen to do this. Thank you. I am so sorry you miss your baby and she you. Here's to hoping the time passes quickly for ya so you can return to your loved ones! Hugs.

Mommy2Bri425
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Why are you active right now? Are you deployed?

Meh. I'm active duty and I'm getting out. Going reserve or NG but I'm definitely not going to wake up everyday for the next XX years doing this. ✌️👋
MommaEST.99
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 4:40 AM

We are between a rock and a hard place.  Our obligation to our family and our military obligation.  No one really understands .

cholita1978
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I understand is hard, but does your husband have a secured job? If you decide to get out, is your family going to be ok financially, medically? Sorry to be straight forward, but you have to keep that in mind. I have a girl at my command who was tired of the Navy life, but I talked to her and asked her the same questions, turns out husband was a pizza delivery guy, and they have a 1 year old baby. I told her my story and asked her to please think about it. Now she re-enlisted and is moving to Maryland with her husband and baby (they have family there, so it worked out for them)
I understand it's hard, I've been doing it for 12 years, and planning on retiring, I'm a single mom and my daughter has only me to count on for support (financially, medically), I also have an awesome support system (my mom) whenever I go on training or deployment, I know my daughter will be well taken cared of, sorry for the long reply, but I know the military is hard, but it also has its good things, good luck
JayRo00
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:06 AM

I understand where you are coming from. I missed my daughter's 1st year of life when I was deployed. I was really depressed being away from her. I did things to keep as busy as possible but that can be hard. I got out and now I miss it like crazy but I love being with my kids more. It's so hard finding work in the civilian sector. Do what you and your DH think is best! 

Debisevil
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:49 PM
That's why I re enlisted. Because even though I'm reserve in reserve in the guard that's what I do full time a lot. My husband is an attorney but doesn't make very much. I will do it until he makes better money. But it's hard being away from her. And it doesn't help that I started my period the day we went to the field.
Mommy2Bri425
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Quoting Debisevil: That's why I re enlisted. Because even though I'm reserve in reserve in the guard that's what I do full time a lot. My husband is an attorney but doesn't make very much. I will do it until he makes better money. But it's hard being away from her. And it doesn't help that I started my period the day we went to the field.

Quote people so that they know that you're answering them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN