Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

My son is about to become a Marine

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 6:18 PM
  • 11 Replies
My oldest son is leaving for bootcamp in December. I have know it was coming for years. I honestly believe he was destined for this. Hecomes from a long line of Marines, three of his four grandparents were Marines. I went with him to everything I was allowed and when I wasn't allowed he knew he had my full support. Proud mom is a light term! Last night we went to mini bootcamp and parents night. A drill sergeant from San Diego was there to run things. It finally sank in that my child will be a Marine in just a few short months! I teared up right there (no actual tears, I couldn't do that to him). I have no clue how I am going to do this. I know he is strong, intelligent, and fully able to do this but all I can do cry every time I even think about it. I have spent all day looking at the web sites they gave us and reading the rules and tip they sent home. And yet all I can do is panic! I thought I was having a heart attack listening to his recruiter talking about him coming home knowing field first aide and what that means. All I could think right that second was that I don't want my child to know how to care for a bullet wound in the field! I know as a Marine he has to and it's something I want him to know as well as the rest of his platoon to know as well. After he went through the mini bootcamp he realized how far behind he was physically. He is use to working with the small group at his recruiter's office and he is the top recruit. Last night was a regional meeting and not required. So many of our group didn't attend. He was near the bottom quarter. I don't think his recruiter is preparing him very well. So I signed him up for a gym and he asked to join another recruiter for extra PT time. Is there anything else he can do to prepare? I hate the thought of him not being able to keep up!
How do I get past this? I want him to have a great outlook, to be prepared, and know I love him and support him 110%. I'm so worried and he hasn't even left yet! Am I crazy or is this what we all go through?
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jul. 29, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Hi! Welcome to the group.

I can understand the momentary panic you are feeling. My son joined the Navy last year. My grandfather, my father, ex husband, my husband, my uncles, cousins, friends, pretty much everyone I grew up with was in the military. I knew what to expect. I had been through deployments, field training, and everything in between. I was an expert in military life and what to expect. Then my son joined the military and all that I knew flew out the window. It is different when it is your child. We always knew he would serve and we have always been proud of that decision and we still are, but I have to admit that on occasion, I still have a mini panic attack when he deploys.

You will be fine, I promise. Panic on the inside if you must but show him your strength. Good luck to you both.

san33
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 7:23 PM
Thank-you! I know that he knows I am worried and scared to death, after all he is my son and can see through any front I put up. I just don't want him to know how panicked I really am. I hope he also sees that it's the mom in me and that I have no doubt in my mind what he is capable of. It's nice to know I am not alone. I really thought I would be more prepared and more ok with all of it.
lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I was a hot mess when my son left for basic. I look back on it now and I can totally see how ridiculous I was being. Joining the AF has been the best decision for him.

san33
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:38 PM
LOL. It's awful to know it's crazy and I'm o er reacting but I can't make it stop! I know I'm over thinking things and jumping right to the worst case scenarios. And to think I still have 4 full months before he leaves! At least I know that I'm not the only crazy one out there. I know what my dad would say with a second thought. Suck it up and stand strong and he will do the same. If he survives day one he can survive week 13. I just wish it were that simple in my heart and my mind.
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Hugs and prayers!!
cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I had a hard time when my son left for basic, but it was more that my baby was growing up than anything else. He will be in the AF for 2 years around Thanksgiving. He loves it and is already talking about going to the Army to be a WO. Your son will be fine and so will you.

And, I'm that crazy mom that asked my dh to PCS (he's Army) to Germany. Now, my son is stationed about 30 minutes from us.
cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:19 AM
I had a hard time when my son left for basic, but it was more that my baby was growing up than anything else. He will be in the AF for 2 years around Thanksgiving. He loves it and is already talking about going to the Army to be a WO. Your son will be fine and so will you.

And, I'm that crazy mom that asked my dh to PCS (he's Army) to Germany. Now, my son is stationed about 30 minutes from us.
UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Tell him run, run, run. There really is no way to fully prepare for boot camp, or the crucible. But he definitely needs to be in the best physical shape of his life going in. My husband when he was in DEP ran 3-5 miles a day, was on the cross country team, and did push ups, crunches, and pull ups like they were going out of style. He even built a pull up bar at his work and his home. He will do fine if he continues to train. The recruiters really want their DEPs to do well. My husband's recruiter did workouts before and after school/work five days a week. Good luck! Has your son chosen an MOS yet? 

san33
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:35 PM
His MOS is still up in the air. He is either going combat support amphibian or MP and trying for K9. He is very fit and runs daily. He is having a hard time with the pull up. DI emailed him a list of exercises that he recommends. He started the second it came through. I think he was pretty surprised to see that he actually sent it. He got the chance to talk to him after the group meeting. He told him that if he was serious about training he would send him a routine to do daily and one to do weekly. He should loose 25 lbs in 4 weeks and double his pushups, sit ups, and pull ups. He joined a gym so he can make use of the weights.
We'll see how he does at the next parents night. I think I will do better if I think he is more prepared. In my mind I can rationalize that he will be pushed but he will make it and will be better for it. But I still can't stop panicking. Maybe just focus on one thing at a time that we can control will help. Who would think I would be the one to panic while he seems perfectly under control. I asked him how he felt about the whole thing and he seems fine. He said now he knows what he needs to do to make it. And he knows he better do great and improve since the DI has actually sent him a workout program.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Hugs and good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN