Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Robberies

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:56 AM
  • 76 Replies
1 mom liked this
There have been a string of robberies in my area. Just curious how many other people have been in that situation and if you took any additional measure of protection?
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:59 AM
Here at Sill there have been a string of home and vehicle break-ins. They've mostly been happening in the housing area closest to ours which boggles my mind since the MP station isn't even 5 miminutes down the road and smack dab between that area and ours. We both have our LTC and have firearms in the house. Plus a really big Doberman. What kills me is they have a description of the vehicle but haven't caught them. All I can think of is the fact that more than one person has seen it and they know about the situation and they don't call anyone.
anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I have had similar thoughts just recently.  There have been a number of robberies in the area that the police believe are related to people trying to get money for drugs. I am not really comfortable with a gun-I'm one of those who would probably end up having it used on me-but I am thinking about getting a security system installed. It's a tough decision because I like being able to hang out with my windows open (although I do always keep my doors locked) and the security system would make that a pain in the butt.

Good luck to you.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:31 AM
4 moms liked this

I have my own gun and the husband has many - he even has one specifically for carrying in his vehicle. 

I pulled my gun on a chick (the guy had already run off) who was in the process of stealing my patio furniture. She took my advice when I told her to get the fuck out of here. I hope that is the last time I encounter a situation like that. 

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a pretty neurotic person naturally so my car is always locked, I don't keep anything valuable in it or in sight. Doors are locked in the house unless someone is actively coming or going. Windows are locked, the gate on the back patio is locked. If I'm not home the alarm is set.

Most of the break ins that seem to happen around here (not specifically where I live but near by) are vehicle break ins and teenagers are the culprits, and most of the time the person left the vehicle unlocked.

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:37 AM

we have had four shootings where i live in the last 48 hours. the last one was just a body that had been shot found in a dumpster behind my grocery.

i take a weapon with me everywhere. 

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Some of these criminals are bizarrely brazen. It does lead one to believe they are not sober when it goes down.

Quoting mnkymommy08: Here at Sill there have been a string of home and vehicle break-ins. They've mostly been happening in the housing area closest to ours which boggles my mind since the MP station isn't even 5 miminutes down the road and smack dab between that area and ours. We both have our LTC and have firearms in the house. Plus a really big Doberman. What kills me is they have a description of the vehicle but haven't caught them. All I can think of is the fact that more than one person has seen it and they know about the situation and they don't call anyone.
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Even if you have a fun, who has time to get it out of its safe keeping and prepare it to fire in these circumstances?

Quoting anchorgurl:

I have had similar thoughts just recently.  There have been a number of robberies in the area that the police believe are related to people trying to get money for drugs. I am not really comfortable with a gun-I'm one of those who would probably end up having it used on me-but I am thinking about getting a security system installed. It's a tough decision because I like being able to hang out with my windows open (although I do always keep my doors locked) and the security system would make that a pain in the butt.

Good luck to you.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Gun. Fun was an interesting typo, lol.

Quoting SlapItHigh: Even if you have a fun, who has time to get it out of its safe keeping and prepare it to fire in these circumstances?

Quoting anchorgurl:

Good luck to you.

mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:53 AM
We are the same way. We both have a weapon for the vehicle as well. I have yet to have to pull my gun on someone but DH had to when we were at Bliss. The guy walked right in our sliding door like he owned the place and started trying to take a PS3 and laptop. Right in front of DH and two of friends.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I have my own gun and the husband has many - he even has one specifically for carrying in his vehicle. 

I pulled my gun on a chick (the guy had already run off) who was in the process of stealing my patio furniture. She took my advice when I told her to get the fuck out of here. I hope that is the last time I encounter a situation like that. 

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:54 AM
That's good! I checked all the windows last night and found one that was unlocked. I need to be more neurotic about it! I won't make that mistake again.

That said, these robbers are breaking windows and entering that way :/.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I'm a pretty neurotic person naturally so my car is always locked, I don't keep anything valuable in it or in sight. Doors are locked in the house unless someone is actively coming or going. Windows are locked, the gate on the back patio is locked. If I'm not home the alarm is set.

Most of the break ins that seem to happen around here (not specifically where I live but near by) are vehicle break ins and teenagers are the culprits, and most of the time the person left the vehicle unlocked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)