Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Something to keep in mind about staying on base...

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 3:12 PM
  • 30 Replies

If you spend most of your (or your dh's) career in base housing, be prepared to not have "utility history" and have to pay deposits.  Some are over $600...  and no - they're not always waived...

by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 4:03 PM

We had to pay a deposit here in San Antonio even with a utility history but after paying on time for a year they credit it back so we didn't have a water bill for 2 months! (Not helpful at first but a nice gift later!)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Oh wow. Luckily we didn't have that issue. We always stayed in housing and dh retired in 2012. Maybe it depends on where you live? $600+ would have set us back for sure in addition to all the other expenses we put out for.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 31, 2014 at 4:31 PM

$600??? Holy crap! Even with a history, deposits are fairly standard. We've never lived anywhere that hasn't required one ... but nowhere near $600!! I would have cried right there in the utility office!!

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jul. 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Holy crap! But would that be the case now with many bases doing the energy conservation program? I get a utility bill every month and have been getting them for over 4 yrs now. I've never PAID anything (because I'm not a wasteful shit) but I do have the bills. 

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 5:03 PM
Never thought of that.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I've never thought of that but it makes sense....if you live in housing the majority of your adulthood, you don't have any utilities in your name (unless it's privitized housing), so it's hard to establish credit in that sense.  I will say that $600 is beyond ridiculous though!!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Now that I've been thinking about it, we've never had to pay a deposit on utilities...and we've lived in 4 states, 3 apartments, 1 condo, 2 houses, and housing twice.   

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:23 PM

We had to pay $600, too. Sucked balls.

ElephantEars
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Wow, I never thought of that!  

JMmama
by Kara on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:36 PM
That is a crazy high deposit! At what point can you get it back? I mean, we always get our deposit back when we move but if you are in your forever home is it just a $600 fee to have electricity (or whatever utility it is)?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN