Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Dh might get medically discharged

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
So it took a year for the VA to send my husbands psychological assessment to the higher ups in command, and now he has to go to the med board and talk to them, its been a year. He has participated for over a year now and they just now sending his paper. He is prior Marine Corps, and went on two tours....and has to have pysch help. Yes he has ptsd, it has been diagnosed. He has been in the army for a year and a half now, and they are just now questioning anything. He has done everything without having any attacks while at work, so why would they question now, and possibly miedically discharge him??
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM

It happens. My husband had a Dr who wanted him discharged because of his autoimmune disorder. He had already served for 16 years at that point WITH the disorder, served in combat 5x WITH the disorder, got his Bronze Star WITH the disorder. So, he went through the entire MEB process and was found unfit for duty and was offered a severance. He appealed based on the fact that for 16 years he was able to perform his job duties above and beyond WITH the disorder ... and he won the appeal. 

As far as your husband's situation, it's difficult to know what will happen without knowing his history.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:52 PM
I hate that he might get discharhed, because thats all hes ever known and hes sad about it. Im just praying that it go good and he wont get discharged.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

It happens. My husband had a Dr who wanted him discharged because of his autoimmune disorder. He had already served for 16 years at that point WITH the disorder, served in combat 5x WITH the disorder, got his Bronze Star WITH the disorder. So, he went through the entire MEB process and was found unfit for duty and was offered a severance. He appealed based on the fact that for 16 years he was able to perform his job duties above and beyond WITH the disorder ... and he won the appeal. As far as your husband's situation, it's difficult to know what will happen without knowing his history.   

violinjewel
by Julia on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM
It can take some time before it's all said and done. My husband has been to the VA, and that has been about three years ago, and they're now working on a medical discharge. The whole process can be very long. He is also National Guard, not active duty, so I don't know how that changes things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:27 AM

Good luck!

gatorswife1401
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM
It happens. My dh was injured during his tour overseas. Was sent to Germany then from there sent to a WTU where they told him he was fine and returned him to duty. Just for him to do his annual physical where they he got a new profile and since he 3 on it they said he needed a MEB. We are currently still on the MEB and yes we still have a long way to go.
3xangel
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Good luck, but start making back-up plans just in case.
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, you can pray about it, but I would advise learning everything you can about the process and his rights, so he can advocate for himself, especially if PTSD is NOT interfering with his duties.

However, if PTSD has been a struggle for him personally and professionally, then the military absolutely has a case for discharging him and you should formulate Plan B. 

There is a lot of information about PTSD and medial discharge on the internet, but this is one website that is particularly helpful: http://www.pebforum.com/site/

As a spouse, you are also encouraged to attend the PEB/MEB briefings. 

Quoting Anonymous: I hate that he might get discharhed, because thats all hes ever known and hes sad about it. Im just praying that it go good and he wont get discharged.
Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

It happens. My husband had a Dr who wanted him discharged because of his autoimmune disorder. He had already served for 16 years at that point WITH the disorder, served in combat 5x WITH the disorder, got his Bronze Star WITH the disorder. So, he went through the entire MEB process and was found unfit for duty and was offered a severance. He appealed based on the fact that for 16 years he was able to perform his job duties above and beyond WITH the disorder ... and he won the appeal. As far as your husband's situation, it's difficult to know what will happen without knowing his history.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:41 PM
No his ptsd doesnt interfere with his military duties....yes he struggles with it in his normal day to day life.....but his military duties have not been effected

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Well, you can pray about it, but I would advise learning everything you can about the process and his rights, so he can advocate for himself, especially if PTSD is NOT interfering with his duties. However, if PTSD has been a struggle for him personally and professionally, then the military absolutely has a case for discharging him and you should formulate Plan B. 

There is a lot of information about PTSD and medial discharge on the internet, but this is one website that is particularly helpful: http://www.pebforum.com/site/

Quoting Anonymous: I hate that he might get discharhed, because thats all hes ever known and hes sad about it. Im just praying that it go good and he wont get discharged.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM
That is crazy! Where are yall stationed? Here in 82nd Sustainment BDE you gotta hurt people to get out for PTSD. We have had people threatening to kill their whole unit and sitting in behavioral health all day instead of work still be fit for duty... same person BTW. She was a nut and her psychologist kept blowing smoke til the Soldier's body finally shut down on her.

Quoting Anonymous: No his ptsd doesnt interfere with his military duties....yes he struggles with it in his normal day to day life.....but his military duties have not been effected

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Well, you can pray about it, but I would advise learning everything you can about the process and his rights, so he can advocate for himself, especially if PTSD is NOT interfering with his duties. However, if PTSD has been a struggle for him personally and professionally, then the military absolutely has a case for discharging him and you should formulate Plan B. 

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

SCADMom
by New Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:36 PM
First they'll have to find him unfit for duty...That process can take awhile since he'll have to be evaluated by behavioral health & do a mental health narsum. if he's already seeing some one I suggest he talk with his therapist. Also there is an MEB lawyer who will be assigned to him to help him either fight to stay in or help with the ratings. Unfortunately with the drawn down the military is looking for any reason to get rid of people. Good luck!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)