Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Any tips or advice for an Army Reserve newbie?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:26 AM
  • 12 Replies

Well my 18yr old sister is thinking of joining the Army reserve. We went to the local office yesterday and got some information. I was just wondering if there are any tips or advice you could provide if you know more about it. Thanks.

by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gatorswife1401
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Is there anything specific you wanted to know. My dh is an Army Reservist. He has been in since 2000.
isell_avon
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM

No just basic stuff as far as how hard it is or how much they get paid. What ever you could offer.

Quoting gatorswife1401: Is there anything specific you wanted to know. My dh is an Army Reservist. He has been in since 2000.

Moorefam1
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:51 PM
It's one weekend a month. And I think like $300 a month but I do hear they deploy a lot.

Quoting isell_avon:

No just basic stuff as far as how hard it is or how much they get paid. What ever you could offer.

Quoting gatorswife1401: Is there anything specific you wanted to know. My dh is an Army Reservist. He has been in since 2000.

isell_avon
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Really?

Quoting Moorefam1: It's one weekend a month. And I think like $300 a month but I do hear they deploy a lot.
Quoting isell_avon:

gatorswife1401
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM
They have to go through basic training then AIT just like active duty. Then it would be one weekend a month two weeks during the summer. They do deploy the pay isnt that great. You can googke military pay for the exact amounts.

Quoting isell_avon:

Moorefam1
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 5:54 PM
Yes, I don't know from personal experience but I have heard from a lot of people that they deploy a lot. My husband is a marine corps recruiter and he said the same thing. I think Air Force reservist and marine reservist deploy the least amount but I'm not 100% sure

Quoting isell_avon:

Really?

Quoting Moorefam1: It's one weekend a month. And I think like $300 a month but I do hear they deploy a lot.

Quoting isell_avon:

Moorefam1
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 5:55 PM
And army deploys for 12 months at a time.

Quoting Moorefam1: Yes, I don't know from personal experience but I have heard from a lot of people that they deploy a lot. My husband is a marine corps recruiter and he said the same thing. I think Air Force reservist and marine reservist deploy the least amount but I'm not 100% sure

Quoting isell_avon:

Really?

Quoting isell_avon:

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

the pay is based on one weekend a month - about 300 dollars a month.

they do deploy a lot. My nephew in law is army reserve and they are set to deploy for 14 months next spring. he has been infor 2 years and this is his second deployment - the first one was for 5 months, 3 months after joining ( he is prior service and did not have to do AIT or boot camp).

there are some educational benefits available to reservists and she would have to talk the recruiter about those.

Boot camp is hard, she will have to run 1.5 miles, do push ups, pull ups, and other things, she will get yelled at for 17 hours a day, she will be told when to eat, when to go to the bathroom, she will be told how fast to eat, how to talk, how to act. they will break her down and build her up to be a soldier, she will learn how to shoot guns, she will learn about combat exercises how to get her buddies out of the line of fire.

-Kney-
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Deployment all depends on their unit my boyfriend has been in for 7 years and has never been deployed, I wasn't with him when he first joined only the last 3 years

Not saying she will never deploy cause with the military you never know same goes for my boyfriend but he doesn't see it happening anytime soon

He has drill once a weekend every month then he has AT in the summer for 2-3 weeks depends
Mommy2Bri425
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:56 AM
Look up the pay chart. They don't get paid that much. If she's coming in as a private, then it won't be much. My friend is a E5-12 years in and gets $200 and some change. Her pay before deductions is $412.

Deployments depends and the army doesn't do 12 months anymore. Certain units yeah, but not most.

They don't do 1.5 miles, the pt test is 2 miles. She will run that and then some. Ruck marches, sleep deprivation, mass punishment. Yeah, it's a good time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN