Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Need any Tips or Advice about Camp Zama Japan

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 9:24 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hi everyone,

I hope someone or anyone who are currently station in Zama Japan can help me in giving me any tips or advice about my hubby's next duty station which will be camp Zama Japan. We'll be PCSing soon in the next 2 months so any tips and advice would really help. This will be our first time ever to PCS to a foreign country so I hope someone can help answer a few questions or give me any tips and advice about my hubby's new duty station. Where can we buy a vehicle and how much would it cost us to buy one? Can we use our own car insurance here in the US? Are we allowed to use our own driver license to drive there? Can we use our own cellphones from the US or do we need to buy new cellphones to use in Japan? Well these are only a few things I'd like to know and if anyone can help give me any tips and adivce about camp Zama Japan would really appreciate the big help:)

P.S any military spouses station in camp Zama Japan or had been stationed there...add me as friend:) Looking forward to know you!! :D

by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
japanmommy
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi I was at Atsugi :)

For a vehicle most people buy a used one from somebody pcs'ing out. We bought out forester for &1000 you need to get a livens there - it's a quick class on base. Your dh has to buy it or give you a specialized power of attorney. I think we used usaa?

Cell phones - I knew nobody who used an American phone. Luckily zama has a cell phone company on base (we had to drive there a few times since Atsugi didn't)

We loved Japan, had such a great time. I want to go back actually next pcs. It's a bit of culture shock but that passes.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 8, 2014 at 4:33 AM

Welcome and good luck!

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Hope you will find answers here :).
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

We were at Yokota several years ago.  Miss it :)

People leaving is the best way to buy a car - you can get one for $500-$1000.  We had USAA for insurance and they covered it.  You will have to get a different license once there, but the new comers briefing will give you all of that information.

Our phone would not work there - had to buy new ones, but we didn't have sim cards in them, so maybe if you have that?  Not sure...

You'll have a blast there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)