Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Fiance chose Army reserves. Not sure how I feel.

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM
  • 33 Replies
We went yesterday to the recruiting office and he did the pretest, passed wonderfully and is going back Tuesday to take the actual test. I am happy he has chosen a career, but not as happy as I should be I guess. He is only really doing is because they will pay off his student loans, and because his best friend is doing it. He also thinks the pay is amazing. He will be going in as an E-2, and we have 1 dependant. If he scores a 50 or above in his test, that is what will qualify him for the 'payback loan' so he can pay off his 15,000 student loans to Auburn University. The thing is, what actually happens is they give him 30,000 to kind of do as he pleasesAS LONG as he pays off hhis student loan. The recruiting office said he could even buy a car with the other 15,000. They really don't care.
Now I should be like "Yay we get money and I don't have to do anything except work and take care of DD while he earns all the dough!" But the way I am feeling I that he doesn't exactly understand. Which I know he does to an extent... but the Army (reserves or active) is a big deal. I think he sees it as a free ride to college and earns money while staying a civilian and not really doing anything. We have talked about it and I have voiced how I feel and he says he is 100% Reay and knows what he is getting in to. I say I guess we'll see.
Any advice or food for thought?
I am also an ex active duty army wife, not saying I know it all or anywhere along those lines, but I know it's hard and what it takes. But fiancé wants to go reserves. I kind of see myself thinking, "if your joining why are you doing the reserves? They don't really do anything. Why don't you do active duty?" Which is kinda harsh honestly. But I don't see him ever getting deployed (he will be joining a unit that a separate friend is in and they don't get deployed. Only go to the usual drills)
My mind is all over the place!
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, joining the military for money is a bad idea ... "amazing" would not be a word I would use to describe the pay. Not sure where he got that idea. Where does the $30,000 come into play? Last I knew, the loan repayment program paid 15% of qualifying students loans and only if the reservist was in a critical MOS. 

sberry09
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM
What we were told is if he makes a certain score on his test, I believe it was a 50 or above, that including that and something else he would be eligible for the 30,000 pay back plan. Which the army or whomever gives to the person to help him or her pay off their student loan. The way the officer explained it was my fiance can use the 15000 to pay off what he owes, and the other 15000 is jut for his use. His exact words were "You cam buy a car with it if you want." To me it sounds like one of the too good to be true statements, what's the other catch? I don't know if there is one. Fiance wants to save the other half, and after he is in for a year the "tuition" pay or grant or whatever will kick in. So he will have the 15000 left, and then the tuition to go to whatever school he chooses.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Well, joining the military for money is a bad idea ... "amazing" would not be a word I would use to describe the pay. Not sure where he got that idea. Where does the $30,000 come into play? Last I knew, the loan repayment program paid 15% of qualifying students loans and only if the reservist was in a critical MOS. 

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM
4 moms liked this

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Loan repayment doesn't even go directly to the reserve member, but to the lender and I don't think it is even paid all at once, either, but over the course of the reservist's enlistment.  

Quoting sberry09: What we were told is if he makes a certain score on his test, I believe it was a 50 or above, that including that and something else he would be eligible for the 30,000 pay back plan. Which the army or whomever gives to the person to help him or her pay off their student loan. The way the officer explained it was my fiance can use the 15000 to pay off what he owes, and the other 15000 is jut for his use. His exact words were "You cam buy a car with it if you want." To me it sounds like one of the too good to be true statements, what's the other catch? I don't know if there is one. Fiance wants to save the other half, and after he is in for a year the "tuition" pay or grant or whatever will kick in. So he will have the 15000 left, and then the tuition to go to whatever school he chooses.
Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:46 PM

here is the guideline for the Loan repayment program- but there is nothing in it that states the member will get "cash in hand" - I would not believe that for one second:

http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Home/Benefit_Library/Federal_Benefits_Page/College_Loan_Repayment_Program_(LRP).html?serv=228

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:49 PM

also the pay is not that great, he will only get paid when he drills one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year after he finishes AIT.

he will not get free medical - it will cost just under 200 a month for a family.

if he gest deployed he will then get full time AD benefits and pay and he could deploy right after finishing AIT as the current critical MOSes are all combat related MOSes.

violinjewel
by Julia on Aug. 7, 2014 at 1:02 PM
All of this is correct. Very similar to the Guard side of things. He will have to also get a civilian job, as drill pay wouldn't be enough to cover most people's monthly expenses.

Quoting gunsgirl:

also the pay is not that great, he will only get paid when he drills one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year after he finishes AIT.

he will not get free medical - it will cost just under 200 a month for a family.

if he gest deployed he will then get full time AD benefits and pay and he could deploy right after finishing AIT as the current critical MOSes are all combat related MOSes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sberry09
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Thank you for the link. I don't understand why the recruiter explained it that way. I know there are a lot of guide lines and qualifications. I'm going to send the link to fiance and let him read it over

Quoting gunsgirl:

here is the guideline for the Loan repayment program- but there is nothing in it that states the member will get "cash in hand" - I would not believe that for one second:

http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Home/Benefit_Library/Federal_Benefits_Page/College_Loan_Repayment_Program_(LRP).html?serv=228

sberry09
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 1:33 PM
I agree that it doesn't sound right. I can't figure out why the recruiter would make it sound like after he signs up and passes the test then he gets 30000. Obviously there's a waiting period ect. But the officer made it clear that he would get 30000 if he qualified. Very strange.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Loan repayment doesn't even go directly to the reserve member, but to the lender and I don't think it is even paid all at once, either, but over the course of the reservist's enlistment.  

Quoting sberry09: What we were told is if he makes a certain score on his test, I believe it was a 50 or above, that including that and something else he would be eligible for the 30,000 pay back plan. Which the army or whomever gives to the person to help him or her pay off their student loan. The way the officer explained it was my fiance can use the 15000 to pay off what he owes, and the other 15000 is jut for his use. His exact words were "You cam buy a car with it if you want." To me it sounds like one of the too good to be true statements, what's the other catch? I don't know if there is one. Fiance wants to save the other half, and after he is in for a year the "tuition" pay or grant or whatever will kick in. So he will have the 15000 left, and then the tuition to go to whatever school he chooses.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Aug. 7, 2014 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
The reason for the explanation you received, is because the recruiter will sugar coat anything to get that signature which is all he needs. Your SO is only a number to him and you have to think of the recruiter as any other salesman just trying to sell a product.

Quoting sberry09: I agree that it doesn't sound right. I can't figure out why the recruiter would make it sound like after he signs up and passes the test then he gets 30000. Obviously there's a waiting period ect. But the officer made it clear that he would get 30000 if he qualified. Very strange.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 1:55 PM

you keep saying officer and most recruiters are NOT officers but enlisted members temporarily assigned to recruiting duty. And unfortunately recruiters have the reputation of lying.

tho it makes no sense why he would say that knowing you could easily check the facts on the World Wide Web.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN