Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

OT: The most stupid thing I have read in ages. So what do you think?

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM
  • 18 Replies

Poll

Question: Should tampons and pads be free?

Options:

Free tampons for all!

Are you f*&*ing kidding me?

I'm just thankful I got mine this month.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

2014 Aug 11 11:30 AM

Should Pads and Tampons Be Free?

It’s easy to see pads and tampons as bons products that make life easier, but they’re actually inextricably connected to girls’ schooling, women’s health, and human rights, according to a recent piece published in The Guardian. To that end, argues author Jessica Valenti, young women shouldn’t have to bear the cost of feminine hygiene products—they should simply be free.

There are two issues at play in Valenti's argument: Money lost from work days missed due to one's period (paid menstrual leave, anyone?), as well as the fact that they're labeled as "luxuries," rather than health necessities, and thus taxed. 

Read the essay below and tell us your thoughts. Personally, I agree with Valenti—menstrual health are one and the same. So for me, I vote free tampons. You?

[The Guardian]

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

How stupid...

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so ridiculous that it's funny!

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I use a DivaCup...so... if Tampons were free would I just get a shipment each month? What would I do with them, build a castle? Actually that's not a bad idea, I could wrap the boxes in brown paper and make a little lady fort around my desk. Get it? Lady Fort?

I do agree that they shouldn't be labeled luxuries, unless things like Motrin and bandaids are also labeled as such. You could just suffer through that headache, you COULD close that cut with duct tape, you don't NEED them either.  Also suggesting such items are luxuries means they're optional right? So what are people using if not pads, tampons, or a menstrual cup, an old sock?  No they shouldn't be free, but I don't think they should be taxed if other health items aren't.

lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:59 PM

That's pretty much how I see it!!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

That is so ridiculous that it's funny!

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I think the Lady Fort is a great idea!

I don't think they should be taxed either, but I can't imagine using free tampons either--they would probably be so generic you wouldn't want to use them!

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I use a DivaCup...so... if Tampons were free would I just get a shipment each month? What would I do with them, build a castle? Actually that's not a bad idea, I could wrap the boxes in brown paper and make a little lady fort around my desk. Get it? Lady Fort?

I do agree that they shouldn't be labeled luxuries, unless things like Motrin and bandaids are also labeled as such. You could just suffer through that headache, you COULD close that cut with duct tape, you don't NEED them either.  Also suggesting such items are luxuries means they're optional right? So what are people using if not pads, tampons, or a menstrual cup, an old sock?  No they shouldn't be free, but I don't think they should be taxed if other health items aren't.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, if you take some political arguments to their logical conclusions then yes.  It makes about as much sense as birth control being free.  But yeah, no.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I go through at least a box and a half of sticks and a box of pads each cycle. And I know I don't have it as bad as others.... So would we have to send in a estimated blood loss in order to get what we needed? Haha

mandaschelle
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Hell yes I want a lady fort I can retreat my bitchy self to and hide with my diet coke chocolate crappy novel and heating pad.
Alas my children would crawl in and steal all my chocolate and I would probably burn down the house with the heating pad and all that cotton.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM
2 moms liked this
Put chocolate on there, too, because it's just as necessary during that time.

Oh, and Motrin.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)