Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Being paid for being away form family?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

I was recently told that military members get paid for being away from their families? Is this true?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:52 PM

There is family separation pay, if that is what you are refering to.  

FSA provides compensation for added expenses incurred because of an enforced family separation under one of the following conditions:

• Transportation of dependents is not authorized at government expense, and the dependents do not live in the vicinity of your permanent duty station.
  • Transportation of dependents is authorized at government expense, but you have elected an unaccompanied tour of duty because a dependent cannot accompany you to the permanent station due to certified medical reasons.
  • You are on duty aboard a ship, and the ship is away from the homeport continuously for more than 30 days.
  • You are on temporary duty (TDY) (or temporary additional duty) away from the permanent station continuously for more than 30 days, and your dependents are not residing at or near the TDY station.

In addition, you may be entitled to FSA when your dependents are evacuated from a danger area and they temporarily occupy government quarters at a safe haven area. A safe haven location may be anywhere in the world named in the evacuation order, or subsequent modification to that order, to which a dependent is directed to relocate on a temporary basis to await a decision by competent authority to either return to the OCONUS permanent duty station or proceed to a designated place. (Reference DoDFMR Vol. 7A chapter 27)

FSA is payable at the rate of $250 per month (pro-rated to $8.33 per day for periods less than a month).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Some service members take on second part time jobs to help make ends meet. Then they deploy and that income goes away. Also child care costs can go up because the service member is gone and no longer home to raise their child. Family separation pay helps to offset the added costs associated with the service members absence. 

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:49 PM

At times, my husband has received separation pay.  Most of the time he has been away from us, he hasn't qualified for that though.  But thankful for the times we received it!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:50 PM
Yep, separation pay.
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:37 AM

yes it's true.

SusanD
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this
If its a forced separation lasting longer than 30 days, yes.
violinjewel
by Julia on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Yes. This was the case when my husband deployed.

Quoting SusanD: If its a forced separation lasting longer than 30 days, yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM

In some cases yes, but in those cases the SM sometimes loses BAS (though I've heard the Marines are the only ones that do that...) so really your SM gets deployed and you lose $100/month. *shrug*

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Its up the the commander too. If they go the field, NTC ect. they can take away BAS for the duration of that time. Generally they don't, but the the unit is low on funds they can. ( its only ever happened to us twice in the past 17 years so not very likely, but possible ) 

Quoting mom2jessnky:

In some cases yes, but in those cases the SM sometimes loses BAS (though I've heard the Marines are the only ones that do that...) so really your SM gets deployed and you lose $100/month. *shrug*

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:12 PM

It happened every time they went away for longer than 25 days at DH's last unit. I just knew to budget for it.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Its up the the commander too. If they go the field, NTC ect. they can take away BAS for the duration of that time. Generally they don't, but the the unit is low on funds they can. ( its only ever happened to us twice in the past 17 years so not very likely, but possible ) 

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN