Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Top 10 Duty Stations You Gotta See For Yourself

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:40 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ask a young military spouse about what he or she is looking forward to about military life and they always, always, ALWAYS mention travel.

Ask seasoned military spouses what they have loved best about military life and they always, always, ALWAYS mention travel.  Everyone has at least one incredible place that they have been stationed.

At our live Spouse X event in San Diego this month, one group had a really hard time narrowing down their favorite duty stations to just ten.  They made a rule that at least one person in the group had to have actually lived there, not just visited.  Here are their faves:

1. Sigonella, Italy.  The jewel of the mediterranean.  Best pizza in the world.

sigonella

2. Devon, England.  Good with sheep… or Royal Marine Commandos.

English_countryside_at_its_best_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1394983

3.  Atsugi, Japan.  Great food. Courteous people.

mt fuji

4. Andersen AFB, Guam.  Perfect scuba diving. Unforgettable sunsets.

thumb_P_8_guam

5. Pensacola, FL.  Give us the white beaches on the Gulf Coast, please!

destin fl

6. Shrivenham,  England.  Just a quick drive to London–and a fabulous international community.

london

7. Okinawa, Japan.  Amazing culture.  Nicest people.  Slow, relaxed environment.

Okinawa

8.  Ft. Carson, CO.  Icy beauty.  And the summers ain’t bad either.

Fort Carson Co

9.  Monterey, CA–Gimme a sea otter anytime.

sea otter

10.  San Diego, CA.  Love the weather.  Love the beaches.  (Could live without the water bill, though.)

balboagolfcourse03

Read more: http://spousebuzz.com/blog/2014/08/top-10-duty-stations-gotta-see.html#ixzz3ACV8tUkj 
SpouseBUZZ.com 

by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM
I would love to make it to England or Germany! Unfortunately, being married to a Marine, the chances are pretty much slim to none. It is on my bucketlist though to visit London.
cocoroo
by Coco on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM

My dh tried to get Italy, but they didn't have any openings.  So, we are in Germany isntead.

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM

We visited friends stationed at Sig. Absolutely gorgeous! would love to go to England. My dad was stationed there for four years when he just got into the navy.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I have a friend who did not like Italy at all. She said it was dirty and crime ridden.

Quoting cocoroo:

My dh tried to get Italy, but they didn't have any openings.  So, we are in Germany isntead.

violinjewel
by Julia on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM
Well I've been to Colorado, obviously, and I've visited San Diego and Monterey. All pretty nice places, though I wouldn't want to live in CA again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:57 PM
C has a friend there that said it can be kind of sketchy.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I have a friend who did not like Italy at all. She said it was dirty and crime ridden.

Quoting cocoroo:

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Dh went to Sigonella for a TDY and said many places are sketchy...  Still beautiful though.

Quoting cocoroo: C has a friend there that said it can be kind of sketchy.
Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Quoting cocoroo:

GirlWithANikon
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:40 PM
I'd like to go to Italy or even japan I guess. Were in Hawaii, I am surprised they picked fl for beaches and not hi. I've never seen such beautiful beaches.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Never been to any of those!  LOL!

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Me, either! DH was stationed at Carson, but that was before we were married.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Never been to any of those!  LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN