Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Anyone in Alaska or lived there??

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:57 PM
  • 12 Replies
My DH wants to live in Alaska for our next duty station. Just want to hear input on it the good and the bad.
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amylovesnick07
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Bump
erin708
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:52 PM
My friend is there now for the second time. They love it up there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:46 AM

Most people I know that have been there have loved it.  I wouldn't mind living there, but I have never been.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:02 AM

The people I know that have lived there loved it.  

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I lived there and had a love hate relationship with it- it is remote, it is cold, it is dark 1/2 the year and cold most of the year the year, it is expensive it is expensive to leave.

it is beautuful, quiet and safe ( for most areas)

I was there for 4 years- I have no desire to go back.

PAmomoffour
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Son in at Wainwright, he's not fond of it. Little to do out in the middle of nowhere. Said the base is ok but thought FLW was better.
 He flew into JBER first and liked that base. So JBER would be a yes, but Wainwright, not to much

B1Bomber
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Anchorage is pretty great. Fairbanks is pretty remote.

jen7232
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM

We lived there at JBER on post in Moose Crossing area (between the Air Force and Army sides) we had a fourplex. It wasn't bad but I don't like fourplex es unless I'm on an end unit. Then we moved to New Sunflower housing area on the Air Force side. I liked the housing. Most housing from what I recall, is multi-unit on post.

jen7232
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I will add (since my iPad wouldn't allow me to finish typing last reply) that you'll have all your stores there in Anchorage. The views and nature are phenomenal. Things I didn't like were:

-I had babies at the time and felt rather trapped, indoors a lot and always wrapping up when going out.

-I felt like summer never truly felt like summer, but I loved the daylight. I wore a light sweatshirt most of summer although you'll hear stories of people shoveling snow in shorts in winter they are so used to the cold. But Fairbanks is colder than Anchorage.

-You won't easily drive anywhere. If you're driving outside Anchorage it's probably camping (it was for us anyway) and in summer months.

-Winter months depressed me and I recall looking out the window at work and it was dark out and I'd look at the clock and it was 9:30 a.m. It's hard to get used to that.

-breakup (period when the snow starts to melt). Breakup is messy you'll see all the trash piled up from under snow months around the city, and it's slushy. Snow stays on the ground from about October to March/April.

-fruit expenses

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:53 AM

^^ This is all true.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)