Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Need tips on moving....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

In the 12 years that we have been in the Army, we have always moved ourselves. Well, this move we are wanting the Army to come in and move us. So, I am looking on tips on what we need to do to help or make it easier for us.

How does it work?

What do they pack and what do they not pack?

We are going to do a dity move, where we are moving some of our stuff, you know that stuff that can NOT be replaced if stolen or broken.

We have a lot of stuff that are in totes and well we want them to remain in totes. Will they unpack the totes and pack them into boxes or will they just put the totes into boxes?

We have been told, to make sure to feed them and make sure we offer plenty of drinks.

Do they pack clothes out of the dressers? Like our underwear, bras,ect? I'm kinda bothered by that one....Some random dude touching and packing my personals....kinda creepy!

So any helpful advice would be nice. I'm not too worried about items being broken because we make sure we carry insurance and we have proof of purchase of all our furniture.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM

The only time they have left my clothes in the drawers is my late move when we came to Germany.  Everyt other time, they take them out and box them.  I always take all of my under goodies with me.  I always have stuff in totes and most of the time, they open it, shove some paper in to stabilize it, and tape it up.  That's it.  I don't think they have ever unpacked and repacked my totes.  What they will and will not take a lot of times depends on the movers.  We were told we couldn't take candles to Germany, the packers just had us put the, in zip lock bags and then they packed them for us.  They will pack unopened, unpaerishable food stateside (usually).  No food overseas.  I usually don't feed them.  I have drinks and that is it.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I duct taped my totes because I learned the hard way during my first PCS move that they will unpack all your totes and repack everything into their own boxes. 

Pack your bras, panties, lingerie and sex toys yourself. Having the movers handle that stuff is definitely creepy!

You can prepare for the move in advance. I took everything off my walls and wrapped it in bubble wrap and packing paper to ensure I wouldn't have any broken glass. 

They won't pack candles, cleaning supplies, perishable food, alcohol, liquids. Oddly enough, they will pack your trash and your dirty dishes. :-\

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:44 AM

They won't pack money, jewelry, or medication. Or open food.

If they're packing your trashcan (I always toss mine before I move) make sure it's clean and empty.

With stuff in the dressers, they make a box, pull out the drawer and dump it into the box, they won't be touching your unmentionables.

Have drinks and snacks for them, it's a nice thing to do. I also always get them lunch.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Why wont they pack candles? That is strange to me!

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM

They can melt in the hot truck. Same thing for Scentsy wax, they won't pack those either.

Quoting Anonymous:

cocoroo
by Coco on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

They packed my candles, Scentscy wax, and even oil.  I just had to put it in baggies.  They packed me out in April and my stuff got to Germany in July.  They said if it is a particularly hot summer, they won't pack them, but since I was earlier enough they did.

Quoting Anonymous:

cjsix
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Best advice I ever go as a military wife was to take 3 boxes and put them in one room....say the living room. Start in one spot and work you way through the room. By the time you are done everything will have been gone through.

1- this box gets everything you want to keep and take with you

2-this box gets everything that is still good but,you no long use or need

3- this box is for things which need to go to the curb

This has worked well for us through many moves. Oh,and they will pack the waste basket full of trash etc... and they will not always make sure your precious breakables are wrapped as well as they should etc.... We had antique plates up against the side of a box,key chain collection wrapped in 5 layers of paper while something breakable was in only 1 or 2. Have someone watch the kids elsewhere if possible and see if you can get friends to come a supply extra eyes to watch and make certain that things are wrapped and packed well. Mark boxes so you know what is in them but,know one else will and keep the items from the rooms seperate if you can....and double check everything after they are don't with the area to make sure they packed all of it. Had serveral things....a couple of closet box sized boxes worth that were left by the person packing the kids rooms one time. Also if you have things you don't want them taking have them packed and in a locked room or better at a friends home.

cocoroo
by Coco on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM

In all my PCS's no one has unpacked any of my totes.  They ask if I want them to, I say "no", and they note on the inventory that it was self packed.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I duct taped my totes because I learned the hard way during my first PCS move that they will unpack all your totes and repack everything into their own boxes. 

Pack your bras, panties, lingerie and sex toys yourself. Having the movers handle that stuff is definitely creepy!

You can prepare for the move in advance. I took everything off my walls and wrapped it in bubble wrap and packing paper to ensure I wouldn't have any broken glass. 

They won't pack candles, cleaning supplies, perishable food, alcohol, liquids. Oddly enough, they will pack your trash and your dirty dishes. :-\

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM
3 moms liked this

We sound like a bunch of crackheads giving completely different experiences. LMAO I think it's obvious at this point that it really depends on the moving company and their rules and guidelines and what rules and guidelines they are willing to break. haha 

We had a giant bottle of Asbach that we were saving for hubby's retirement and we have always brought it in the car during PCS moves because the movers would never take it. Well, it went missing during our last move and we actually thought one of the movers stole it ... come to discover that they wrapped in my couch pillows and packed it in a box. D'oh! 

cocoroo
by Coco on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:21 PM

I was surprised they let me pack my candles to come over here.  Normally they won't.  

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

We sound like a bunch of crackheads giving completely different experiences. LMAO I think it's obvious at this point that it really depends on the moving company and their rules and guidelines and what rules and guidelines they are willing to break. haha 

We had a giant bottle of Asbach that we were saving for hubby's retirement and we have always brought it in the car during PCS moves because the movers would never take it. Well, it went missing during our last move and we actually thought one of the movers stole it ... come to discover that they wrapped in my couch pillows and packed it in a box. D'oh! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN