Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Looking for answers

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 8:30 AM
  • 103 Replies

My son-in-law just graduated from airforce basic training and is waiting for his tech school training to start.  He was just told that his first assignment will be in Korea for a year.  He and my daughter were married a month before he went into basic training.  The base in Korea doesn't allow families.  I thought they tried to keep the married guys in the country at least at the beginning.  How can he get another assignment?  What can be done to delay this?  My daughter is 19 and my son-in-law is 20.  Why is the military coming down on him so hard with this crazy assignment.

Update - my son-in-law seems to have decided to chill out and accept the year assignment in Korea for what it is.  And my daughter is realizing that she can't visit her husband in Korea. 

by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 16, 2014 at 8:35 AM
11 moms liked this
That's a pretty common assignment. The military isn't coming down on him at all- this is what he signed up for. He can try and trade assignments with done one else in school.

The military cares about the mission, married or not it doesn't matter. The sooner everyone involved figures that out the better.
mrsary
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 8:37 AM
What she ^^said. And no he isnt being punished or singled out.
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 8:58 AM

First of all, most of the youngest airmen aren't married yet so it's a common assignment for new airmen because it's unaccompanied. Younger airmen are also less likely to have children and thus the separation is not as much of a hardship. Most do an overseas assignment at some point so delaying it could end up being even more difficult, what if he gets this assignment again but then your daughter is pregnant and has to do it alone? Wouldn't it be easier to get it out of the way now? He's been at basic and tech school, which they both knew about before hand it was their choice to marry, an overseas UNACCOMPANIED assignment was always a possibility. My DH did his Korea assignment his second year in, we weren't married then but I've known him since 8th grade so I know exactly what he missed. He missed his twin sister's wedding. He missed his niece being born. He actually enjoyed Korea. Consider it a "right of passage" in an airmen's career. Separations will happen numerous times throughout his career planned AND unexpected might as well get used to now. Also, it is a controlled tour so it is a constant rotation in and out why should your son in law be any more special than another? 1 airman did his duty now he is headed back to the US, they need another to fill his role, it's their job.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I agree with everything Melissa said. They aren't picking on your kid, this is what he signed up for.

TAG9lbs
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:46 AM

If he avoids it and doesn't do some form of deployment or overseas assignment it could, cause some dirty looks when he attempts to advance. It could hurt his career in the long run if he doesn't go now. Just my 2 cents

violinjewel
by Julia on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Quoting USAFamily: That's a pretty common assignment. The military isn't coming down on him at all- this is what he signed up for. He can try and trade assignments with done one else in school.

The military cares about the mission, married or not it doesn't matter. The sooner everyone involved figures that out the better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:11 AM
My son had a lot of friends go to Korea after Tech School, married and unmarried. It is the needs of the military. I hope this is you being a whiny mom, and that your son isn't starting his military career out complaining.
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:28 AM

This is a very typical assignment after AIT or tech school. What is the problem? 

cocoroo
by Coco on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:51 PM
6 moms liked this
I think the main problem is her daughter and son in law aren't mature enough to be married and in the military. What did they think they were signing up for? Summer camp? The Boy Scouts? I guess they thought that the military actually cared that they got married.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

This is a very typical assignment after AIT or tech school. What is the problem? 

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Explain to your daughter and son in law to use this opportunity as a "test" of their relationship. I don't know their story personally, but in my opinion, they married too young and why? Because he's military? Would they have married this young had they both went to college? If their relationship can handle this separation, they have a pretty good chance of surviving long term living the military lifestyle.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)