Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

National Guard Called to Ferguson as Teen's Autopsy Results Released

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM
  • 8 Replies

National Guard Called to Ferguson as Teen's Autopsy Results Released

by Lisa Fogarty

The violence in Ferguson, Missouri, rages on, more than one week after a police officer reportedly shot dead an unarmed teenager named Michael Brown. In response to long nights filled with looting and a back-and-forth exchange between police and protesters which has included gunshots, Molotov cocktails, arrests, and cops in riot gear releasing tear gas, Missouri Governor Jay Nixon has done the only thing he can: he has called in the National Guard to help restore peace.

His request for the help of federal troops comes just as the results of a state-performed autopsy on the teen, ordered by Attorney General Eric Holder, reveals Brown was shot six times -- twice in the head. The city remains divided, as some flock to show support for Police Officer Darren Wilson, who reportedly shot Brown, while others continue to demand justice for the teen.

A group of more than 100 people -- including many members of law enforcement -- rallied in front of St. Louis news station KDSK on Sunday because they disagreed with the station's decision to broadcast details about Wilson's home address. And, let's be serious here, does anyone actually think that was a good idea? I don't care if Wilson is as guilty as sin, if you don't allow him his Constitutional right to a fair trial, you negate the message behind your demand for "justice."

Wilson supporters have also set up a GoFundMe site for the officer and have raised more than $1,500 for his legal expenses. Meanwhile, Wilson -- who has served with the police department in Ferguson for six years -- has reportedly fled his home, fearing his life, which isn't sitting too well with some folks. Just across the street from where the pro-Wilson protesters set up shop, a different group gathered waving signs that read, "Ferguson Police are harboring a fugitive."

No matter where you stand, I think everyone can agree on one fact: the situation in Ferguson is beyond the control of local police. Nixon was right to bring in the National Guard. But I question what it will actually take to ease tensions before someone else is killed.

Do you think Governor Jay Nixon made the right call?

What do you feel needs to be done to restore peace in Ferguson?

by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 19, 2014 at 12:32 PM
5 moms liked this

The people in that town are acting like fools.

MAYBE teach your kids to not attack police officers and try to grab their gun (HELLO WTF?!?!?!) and they won't get shot. Seems pretty simple to me.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Don't do stupid shit and stupid shit won't happen. 

Guess the defense can throw all of those so called "eye witness" accounts out the back door.... not a single one matches up to the physical evidence. Strange isn't it, when actual facts start coming out the violence gets worse. I find it absolutely comical that Jessie James AKA race baiter gets booed off stage. Seriously the White house, Jessie, Al, Holder, sitting here stirring the race shit pot should have to sit and lick the spoon. 

USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
There are a lot of different stories going around about this. The fact is a young unarmed man was killed. And the use of force by police in the US is ridiculous. It's totally out of control. I hope police policy is re-examined after all is said and done. We look like an embarrassment to the rest of the world, and it's not because of the people in the town.
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
The police made the mess they can take care of it.
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 4:52 PM
I'm not equipped to say if that's the right call or not. What a terrible situation though :(.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM

The entire situation is sad.  That's all I'm going to say....

usmclife58
by Nikki on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:49 PM

There is a cell video of a bunch of foul-mouthed fools saying the police shot him for no reason. The guy with the cell asks them all if they were there, but none of them were. While they are going on, there are 2 men in the background talking. One of those 2 men DID see what happened and said the punk rushed the cop and kept coming after he was shot. What he describes fits the autopsy report. Then there is another "supposed" video that actually shows part of what happened that has not been released to the public yet, but it also fits with the guy coming after the cop and THEN the cop shot.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Don't do stupid shit and stupid shit won't happen. 

Guess the defense can throw all of those so called "eye witness" accounts out the back door.... not a single one matches up to the physical evidence. Strange isn't it, when actual facts start coming out the violence gets worse. I find it absolutely comical that Jessie James AKA race baiter gets booed off stage. Seriously the White house, Jessie, Al, Holder, sitting here stirring the race shit pot should have to sit and lick the spoon. 

Photobucket

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this

There is nothing that can be done to fix this now. Even if the truth is revealed that the officer did indeed follow legal protocol and was within his rights to protect himself and the community from Michael Brown that day, it isn't what the black community wants to hear. It's a no-win situation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN