Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

[HELP] moving on base -Ft Lewis- Lots of confusion!!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:58 PM
  • 18 Replies

So hubby is still deployed but we have been accepted for a house and I am to move myself and our [soontobe] Three year old and our Three month old + all of our stuff from california to Ft Lewis at the end of this month. Sooo... I will list my questions. Thanks in advance!!

1: WHERE DO I GO?!

- I know I need to pay prorated rent before the walk through of the house. Is the office where I pay this the SAME office as the Welcome To The Neighborhood Brief? I tried to ask one of the women from housing [through email] but all she answered was "Yes you can pay them the same day" so I am not sure if she just forgot a comma after yes, and was also giving me that snippit of info, or just didn't answer my question.

2: WASHING MACHINE AND DRYER

- On the floor plan I see we have a utility room and I see W/D inside. Are they just hookups, or do the houses come with appliances?  [We cloth diaper, so this is a NEED to know before I pack up. Because if it is only the hook ups, I'll switch to Disposies until we can buy the appliances]

3: FRIDGE AND STOVE

- The kitchen comes with them already, yes?

4: GETTING ON BASE

- My stepfather and his friend will be following me on base with a truck loaded with our stuff. Do they need anything other than their IDs to get on? They will not be staying the night. And I am the only one with a Military ID.

5: CHILDRENS THINGS

- Where is a good doctors office on base? My son will be needing his three year check up at the end of september so I'll need to find a pediatrician straight away. + for the newborn.

- Activities. Are there childrens groups on base I can take him too? I know where the library and a park are, but I was looking for actual groups [because, you know, forcing toddlers together is fun stuff, rofl]

If you feel there is anything I need to know, please feel free to tell me. This will be the first time living on base, ever.

by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 1:21 AM
I can't answer your questions but hopefully someone else can help!
MommiiDearest
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 1:54 AM
Awwww.... Thanks haha
Do you know if the dryer hookup is gas or electric?

Quoting SlapItHigh: I can't answer your questions but hopefully someone else can help!
cocoroo
by Coco on Aug. 20, 2014 at 5:31 AM

I never lived on post when we were at JBLM.  We lived in Lacey.  I lived there for 6 years total.  I don't think the houses come with a washer and dryer, but they will have a fridge and stove.  To get people on base, you will have to stop at the main gate welcome center and get them a pass.  It shouldn't be a problem if you have your Mil ID and they have their driver's licenses.  If they are in the same vehicle as you, they won't even need a pass.  I'm not sure where to go to pay the rent.  I think you go to the housing office.  For the doctor, you will more than likely be assigned to pediatrics at Madigan for the kids and family medicine for yourself.  It is all on post at the hospital.  As far as groups go, there are some.  You just have to look.  And, whatever you do, don't stay on post for everything.  There is so much to see and do in that area.  JBLM is a very small part of it.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

That depends, if it's gas it's both, if it's just electric it's just that.

Where I live you can have a gas dryer, or a regular one, I have a regular one (gas dryers make me nervous).

Housing where you're headed would be the best people to call.

Quoting MommiiDearest: Awwww.... Thanks haha Do you know if the dryer hookup is gas or electric?
Quoting SlapItHigh: I can't answer your questions but hopefully someone else can help!

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:13 AM

1. Call housing

2. Call housing, some have machines in them, some don't. I've never lived in Housing that came with the machines, but some people have.

3. Yes the kitchen has appliances.

4. Just go through first and say they're with you, shouldn't be an issue.

5. That's a Tricare Question.

Here's the Website for that base... I'd look up FB groups for there they'll know way more than we will.

http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:46 AM
No idea. Electric would be my best guess.

Quoting MommiiDearest: Awwww.... Thanks haha
Do you know if the dryer hookup is gas or electric?

MommiiDearest
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Thanks, I guess... I called housing and got that all squared away. Tricare says I pick a doctor, so wasn't very helpful in the 'who is good' thing ,
GodsAmiga
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM

We haven't been stationed there but we lived nearby when my dh joined the military so that was the base I went to for everything. Once I had my ID if my mom was following me (she helped watch my kiddos during the passport meeting) she always had to stop by the visitor center for a pass. Here's a URL to more info.

http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/des/le_visitor.htm

cocoroo
by Coco on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:15 AM
They aren't assigning you to Madigan?

Quoting MommiiDearest: Thanks, I guess... I called housing and got that all squared away. Tricare says I pick a doctor, so wasn't very helpful in the 'who is good' thing ,
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Tricare said you can pick your Dr on post? We were always assigned to a Dr and they sent a letter in the mail telling you who it is.

Quoting MommiiDearest: Thanks, I guess... I called housing and got that all squared away. Tricare says I pick a doctor, so wasn't very helpful in the 'who is good' thing ,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN