Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Ebola patients released from Emory

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:25 PM
  • 5 Replies

I was watching the press conference regarding the 2 American ebola patients being released from the hospital. So, evidently, ebola CAN be cured, yet the epidemic cannot be contained in Africa?? There's a real big disconnect there.

by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
violinjewel
by Julia on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:35 PM
I was trying to figure this one out too. It's a virus, so it can't technically be cured. Did their bodies fight it off naturally after agressive treatment of their symptoms? Is it now dormant in their bodies, or is it completely gone? I didn't see the news conference, as I'm getting ready to run out to the store. I'm slightly confused on this whole deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM

There has been a lot of contradictory information circulated. There is no cure, yet the doctors at the press conference said there are no traces of the virus in the 2 American victims' bodies. Not buying that. Remember the same report for the child who has AIDS? They said she was virus-free ... until it came back. 

Quoting violinjewel: I was trying to figure this one out too. It's a virus, so it can't technically be cured. Did their bodies fight it off naturally after agressive treatment of their symptoms? Is it now dormant in their bodies, or is it completely gone? I didn't see the news conference, as I'm getting ready to run out to the store. I'm slightly confused on this whole deal.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:04 PM

From what I was listening to (I sorta checked out when the guy went on his religious spiel) was that there isn't a cure, but if you can keep the patient strong enough (ie fight off other things) their immune system can fight it off.

That may be the issue with Africa, not enough food, not enough resources, not clean enough, etc.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

There has been a lot of contradictory information circulated. There is no cure, yet the doctors at the press conference said there are no traces of the virus in the 2 American victims' bodies. Not buying that. Remember the same report for the child who has AIDS? They said she was virus-free ... until it came back. 

Quoting violinjewel: I was trying to figure this one out too. It's a virus, so it can't technically be cured. Did their bodies fight it off naturally after agressive treatment of their symptoms? Is it now dormant in their bodies, or is it completely gone? I didn't see the news conference, as I'm getting ready to run out to the store. I'm slightly confused on this whole deal.

violinjewel
by Julia on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM
See, I mean I can understand if they said supportive care helped, but something doesn't sound right.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 21, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Hmmmm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN