Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Marine Who Urinated On Taliban in Video Found Dead

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM
  • 11 Replies

WASHINGTON — A Marine Corps combat veteran at the center of controversy when a video surfaced showing Marines urinating on Taliban corpses was found dead Wednesday night, according to a report in the Marine Corps Times.

Retired Cpl. Robert Richards, 28, died at his home in Jacksonville, North Carolina, according to Guy Womack, his attorney and friend. An autopsy is being conducted, Womack said, adding that the cause of death does not appear to be self-inflicted. A medical examiner will look at the mix of medication Richards was taking, he told the paper.

Richards pleaded guilty to failing to obey a lawful order and violating Article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. He was reduced one pay grade but avoided jail or a bad-conduct discharge, and was later medically retired.

Three Marines were given nonjudicial punishments for their role in the July 2011 incident, and two Marines — Staff Sgt. Joseph W. Chamblin and Staff Sgt. Edward W. Deptola — pleaded guilty to related charges at their own courts martial.

The Marine Corps dropped the criminal charges filed against the only officer implicated in the video, Capt. James Clement, but he was involuntary separated from the service early this year.

The case was also noteworthy because the commandant, Gen. James Amos, faced allegations that he had sought to improperly intervene in the case.

In a video on the Military Times web site, Richards wearily explained what led up to the incident.

"I'm really tired of explaining why we pissed on them. What led up to it — what really led up to it is, they desecrated one of our Marines," he said, noting that militants had spread a dead Marine's body parts around, even planting another IED near some of them to try to kill Marine investigators.

He stressed that it was the wrong thing to do, but said a civilian could never understand.

"When you're under that much stress, and you're in that environment, your whole mental being changes," he said. "You're no longer Joe the Family Man."

Richards is survived by his wife, Raechel. He is expected to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors, Womack told the Times.

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM
I wonder what happened? Though I suppose they suspect his meds being involved according to the article. On a personal note, this guy and the 3 others caused major problems with my dh and our past pcs that was stopped 12 hrs before we had to leave( not to mention we lost a lot of money in deposits etc)due to investigations as my Dh was in the same unit and deployed with these guys. It also forced a very good ltcol to be relieved of command who my dh was very fond of. Sorry for the rant lol but I remember how frustrating it was for us at the time!!
Mommy2Bri425
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Well alright.... I've got nothing.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I didn't know you guys got caught up in the fallout! Did your husband have to give a testimony? Glad it's all behind you now. 

Quoting MrsDavidB25: I wonder what happened? Though I suppose they suspect his meds being involved according to the article. On a personal note, this guy and the 3 others caused major problems with my dh and our past pcs that was stopped 12 hrs before we had to leave( not to mention we lost a lot of money in deposits etc)due to investigations as my Dh was in the same unit and deployed with these guys. It also forced a very good ltcol to be relieved of command who my dh was very fond of. Sorry for the rant lol but I remember how frustrating it was for us at the time!!

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Yes, it was quite a fallout! All company commanders and above had to give a statement and their pcs orders were stopped. Tmo had already moved our stuff, we left our home, had the car loaded up and they called that night we were due to leave and said don't. It was a complete nightmare!! Thankfully it was only a 3 week delay, but it really pissed me off. Had to stay at my inlaws house that whole time so you can imagine lol!!

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I didn't know you guys got caught up in the fallout! Did your husband have to give a testimony? Glad it's all behind you now. 

Quoting MrsDavidB25: I wonder what happened? Though I suppose they suspect his meds being involved according to the article. On a personal note, this guy and the 3 others caused major problems with my dh and our past pcs that was stopped 12 hrs before we had to leave( not to mention we lost a lot of money in deposits etc)due to investigations as my Dh was in the same unit and deployed with these guys. It also forced a very good ltcol to be relieved of command who my dh was very fond of. Sorry for the rant lol but I remember how frustrating it was for us at the time!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 22, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Full military honors? Someone will be pissing on his grave

Mommy2Bri425
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 3:47 AM
2 moms liked this
Like who? You? Who gives a shit about the Taliban??

Quoting Anonymous 1:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 24, 2014 at 6:15 AM

Staying with any family member for 3 weeks would drive me nuts! LOL!

Quoting MrsDavidB25: Yes, it was quite a fallout! All company commanders and above had to give a statement and their pcs orders were stopped. Tmo had already moved our stuff, we left our home, had the car loaded up and they called that night we were due to leave and said don't. It was a complete nightmare!! Thankfully it was only a 3 week delay, but it really pissed me off. Had to stay at my inlaws house that whole time so you can imagine lol!!
Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I would be in prison if I had to stay with my IL's for 3 weeks. I think you deserve some sort of award for doing that. ;)

Quoting MrsDavidB25: Yes, it was quite a fallout! All company commanders and above had to give a statement and their pcs orders were stopped. Tmo had already moved our stuff, we left our home, had the car loaded up and they called that night we were due to leave and said don't. It was a complete nightmare!! Thankfully it was only a 3 week delay, but it really pissed me off. Had to stay at my inlaws house that whole time so you can imagine lol!!
Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I don't really have anything to add about the story...

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Disrespectful is disrespectful.

Quoting Mommy2Bri425: Like who? You? Who gives a shit about the Taliban??

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN