Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

I know we've talked about paying it forward at Starbucks ...

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:27 AM
  • 11 Replies

Local blogger ended second Starbucks 'pay-it-forward'

Blame the end of a second St. Petersburg "pay-it-forward" Starbucks chain on a local blogger.

According to partner newspaper the Tampa Bay Times, local blogger Peter Schorsch wrote on his website that he purposely stopped the second run well before it approached the length of the previous one.

It started as a random act of kindness that saw strangers paying for the customer behind them in line on Wednesday at the Starbucks at 2186 Tyrone Boulevard. The pay-it-forward act took place 378 times before a customer declined to pay just after 6 p.m.

Store manager Grant Drain said it started at 7 a.m. Wednesday with a woman in her mid-60's and by later in the day, the store's previous record had been more than doubled.

On Thursday, a new chain was started.

But Schorsch put an end to all of that, he told the Times, saying he objected to what he perceived as a guilt trip being placed on customers. He said workers were telling customers someone paid for their coffee but then asked if they'd like to pay-it-forward as well.

Schorsch wrote in his blog he purchased two Venti Mocha Frappuccinos and then declined to pay for the person behind him.

He stopped the chain but said he did give the baristas a $100 tip.

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:29 AM
They shouldn't pressure people to buy for the person behind them but hey $100 tip cool.
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I was part of a pay it forward day at a Starbucks as well. I had no idea it was happening and when I was told my coffee was paid for, the barista never asked me if I wanted to pay it forward, I just asked them if I could pay for the next car. No pressure at all.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:28 PM
3 moms liked this

The pressure this guy felt was HIS perception. Feeling guilt was his choice. There's always that one wet blanket!

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:30 PM

That is exactly what I thought.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

The pressure this guy felt was HIS perception. Feeling guilt was his choice. There's always that one wet blanket!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Yep.  Totally agree.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM
4 moms liked this

When, WHEN will people learn that WE are solely responsible for our OWN feelings? No one can "make" you feel a certain way. You CHOOSE to feel that way. The only things we MUST do is pay taxes and die.

adoptivemomof1
by Mel on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
The guy was a dweeb...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I read he went to the trouble to leave his house and drove there to purposefully stop the pay it forward....hmm he has a blog , thinking he was trying to cash in on the Starbucks publicity and drive readers to his blog... none of his greater good crap.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 23, 2014 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Well you know his blog wasn't good enough to get readers on its own merit so he HAD to do something!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I read he went to the trouble to leave his house and drove there to purposefully stop the pay it forward....hmm he has a blog , thinking he was trying to cash in on the Starbucks publicity and drive readers to his blog... none of his greater good crap.

B1Bomber
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM

We've paid for the people behind us before, no idea if it ever made a chain.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN