Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

8-Year-Old's Blunt Note to U.S. Troops Provides Unexpected Inspiration

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:12 AM
  • 10 Replies

8-Year-Old's Blunt Note to U.S. Troops Provides Unexpected Inspiration (VIDEO)

by Ericka Sóuter 

afghan troops

Troops in Afghanistan still face a daunting task. So needless to say, they appreciate every care package and letter of encouragement that comes their way. But one letter in particular has inspired hundreds of soldiers, if not more. It was written by a little boy named Gavin whose message is as cute as it is cryptic. 

The note simply read, "Hope you make it back." While it could have been seen as a total downer, the members of the 438th Air Expeditionary wing stationed in Kabul loved it. They looked past the unintentionally dark humor and embraced it as their motto. It became so popular, the soldiers started a Gavin club. When a new soldier arrived to base, he was greeted with a "Hope you make it back." They even had patches for their uniforms made with the words stitched on them.

So inspired by this little boy's words, the troops set out to find him -- which was not an easy task since they received hundreds of letters every week. They knew it came in a box from Shreveport, Louisiana, and started the search there. Based on the handwriting, they knew it must be from an elementary school kid, so they contacted the Shreveport Times looking for the little boy behind the message. The paper published an article with the headline, "Who is Gavin?"

That's when mortgage banker Ashley Brint was flooded with calls and texts from people wondering if it was her 8-year-old boy. It was. The letter had been a Sunday school assignment from church. Friends and family members say that bluntness was Gavin's style. But the story doesn't end there. The soldiers were intent on meeting their hero, so a Skype call was set up.

This entire story is such a wonderful reminder about the power of support. Our troops face horrific dangers, and to know that Americans -- from the youngest to the oldest -- hope for their safe return must keep them focus, energized, and determined. Kudos Gavin!

Watch the heartwarming meeting:

Did your service member receive notes and cards in care packages from children while they were/are deployed?

Did your childs class/school participate in sending notes and care packages to deployed troops?

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:06 PM
3 moms liked this

Sonia posted a hilarious one on FB the other day but I can't post it here. A little boy writes "My dad says you're over there fighting a bunch of goat xxxxx. I hope you get them!" 

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Yes he got lots :) My BIL's mom is a school teacher and her class wrote several times one year DH was deployed. He would pass them out to soldiers he knew weren't receiving mail. One of our local Little Debbie distributors sent cases of cakes to DH, he passed those all out at Christmas.... but I think he kept all of the Christmas Tree cakes ;) 

The kids school at Hood would accept candy donations after Halloween and send it to the deployed troops. I thought that was an awesome way to give, and get rid of candy they didn't need to be eating.

The Girls Girl Scout troops took cookie donations for the WWP. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Sonia posted a hilarious one on FB the other day but I can't post it here. A little boy writes "My dad says you're over there fighting a bunch of goat xxxxx. I hope you get them!" 

That is hystrical!!

Mommy2Bri425
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 2:28 AM
Yes we got some. I think.....
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Omg, ha ha ha!

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:08 AM

I think it's a no on both accounts.  TFS though!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 30, 2014 at 5:03 AM

Sending packages and such to sailors on a deployed submarine is a hard thing to do:)

24clark
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you, I can't stop giggling out loud at this one! Still am a couple of minutes later!

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

That is hystrical!!

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 31, 2014 at 10:33 AM

That's hysterical. :D

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 31, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I've never asked DH if he got any...If I remember I'll do it when he gets up.

My kids went to a DOD school previously so it was the students moms & dads that were deployed, so yeah they sent stuff but not in the same context you're asking about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)