Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Welp, that's just dandy.

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 12:49 AM
  • 59 Replies
We're PCS'ing soon and we were dead sure we were going to Charleston. Nope, we're moving to San Diego! Oh Navy, you sure know how to keep me on my toes...:P
Neither of us have ever been to San Diego, so I'm totally lost and I have to stage this move myself. Have any of you been there? What neighborhoods should we definitely look at or avoid? Is base housing a better idea in such a high living cost area? I want to have most of this figured out so I don't spew word vomit at Fleet and Family! I'll be eternally grateful for any help I can get on this matter.
Should probably also add that this is my first PCS. My husband was already settled in Georgia when we got married.
by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:57 AM

I haven't been there but dh has geo-bached it there twice.  He loves it!!!  I'm no help with the answers to your questions but I just wanted to throw it out there that it's way better than Charleston, according to my dh.  We have always said we would have to live in housing if we were stationed there because of the costs and we've never lived in housing before.  I got San Diego BAH while he was there and that was awesome!!!!!

sketchmonster
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:07 AM
That's good to know! I think I'm just comfortable with Charleston. I've been there to visit him while he was in school and i've always lived on the east coast. We're usually very anti-base housing too, but hell will freeze over before I pay 2k/month for an apartment the size of my living room.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I haven't been there but dh has geo-bached it there twice.  He loves it!!!  I'm no help with the answers to your questions but I just wanted to throw it out there that it's way better than Charleston, according to my dh.  We have always said we would have to live in housing if we were stationed there because of the costs and we've never lived in housing before.  I got San Diego BAH while he was there and that was awesome!!!!!

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:10 AM

I know what you mean.  I tend towards preferring Charleston too.  I've been there but never SD.  My husband is from SC and still has family there.  He did enjoy being there for power school but he just loves everything about San Diego!  He did say that the base housing is awesome there so if  it has to be base housing, at least it's good base housing.

Quoting sketchmonster: That's good to know! I think I'm just comfortable with Charleston. I've been there to visit him while he was in school and i've always lived on the east coast. We're usually very anti-base housing too, but hell will freeze over before I pay 2k/month for an apartment the size of my living room.
Quoting SlapItHigh:

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:11 AM

It's mostly the weather year round in San Deigo that I would love to have!

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:13 AM
Where exactly in San Diego? From my experience and friends experience, living on base is the best choice because traffic can be a MAJOR pain in the ass! Just to drive a couple miles can take you at least an hour.
sketchmonster
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:22 AM
Very true. It's just so 50/50 with housing in general, either it's awesome or they have complaints out the ass about mold, lol. His father also said base housing is awesome there. Retired navy.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I know what you mean.  I tend towards preferring Charleston too.  I've been there but never SD.  My husband is from SC and still has family there.  He did enjoy being there for power school but he just loves everything about San Diego!  He did say that the base housing is awesome there so if  it has to be base housing, at least it's good base housing.

Quoting sketchmonster: That's good to know! I think I'm just comfortable with Charleston. I've been there to visit him while he was in school and i've always lived on the east coast. We're usually very anti-base housing too, but hell will freeze over before I pay 2k/month for an apartment the size of my living room.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

RKL10
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:22 AM
I live in San Diego currently feel free to ask me anything!!
sketchmonster
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:24 AM
Haha! Our georgia summers are hot enough, I'm dreading the California summers! It will be winter when we go.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

It's mostly the weather year round in San Deigo that I would love to have!

sketchmonster
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:30 AM
The naval base (which is apparently gigantic). I'm not familiar with the area, but it's by...Palos something? We just started looking today, took the orders yesterday.
This will be a HUGE change for us since we live in a tiny country town. I haven't lived in the city since I was 18 with misguided dreams about living smack dab in the middle of downtown.
I hear the zoo is good.
That's about all I've got, lol.

Quoting DvlDogWfe: Where exactly in San Diego? From my experience and friends experience, living on base is the best choice because traffic can be a MAJOR pain in the ass! Just to drive a couple miles can take you at least an hour.
sketchmonster
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:36 AM
AHHH YES! Thanks for replying! Do you live on base? After browsing the rental sites, it seems on base is the way to go. I'm mostly concerned with the housing. We've never lived on base before...is there typically a gargantuan waiting list? How is the city? The school district? DD will be 3 when we move so I need to start looking at that. I'm slightly nervous about living in a city again, can you tell?

Quoting RKL10: I live in San Diego currently feel free to ask me anything!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)