Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why am I being Punished!?!? (Car Insurance). Updated OP

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM
  • 32 Replies

I'm getting pretty sick of being punished by car insurance companies for being a good driver. Like REALLY sick of it.

I don't really like driving so I make a point to live REALLY close to everything I need on a regular basis. We live about a mile from where DH works, 2 miles from the doctor, Target, Starbucks, and many restaurants we like. I'm less than a mile from the grocery store. Also kids are homeschooled so I'm not dealing with that twice a day.  We MIGHT drive 50 miles a week total. I don't have any tickets, I don't have DUI's, DH doesn't either, the only time I've ever made an insurance claim was when some guy rearended me 9 YEARS ago and it was with his insurance, and obviously not my fault since I was stopped at a red light when it happened. I don't speed, I don't text and drive, I use my signals, I maintain my cars, WHY THE FUCK is my insurance going up?!

Years ago we had USAA and we were paying $96/month for 2 cars with full coverage...not bad. Then out of nowhere they nearly doubled our rates to $180/month for no reason... I said then "Shouldn't I be rewarded for being a good driver?" Apparently not. So we switched to Allstate and were paying $130/month, still high, but less than USAA so whatever. Well now THEY want $180/month for insurance.  I feel like at this point I should go out and total my car, or leave it in a questionable part of town (so it gets stolen) just to get my money's worth.  This is bullshit.

I started shopping around for a different company, and it's all about the same. WHY am I being punished for being a good driver?!?! Shouldn't they be punishing the people in Sports Cars that drive 80+ miles a day, or the people with a bunch of speeding tickets and accidents?! WHY am I getting the shit end of the stick? 

Newflash insurance companies, you should reward people for their good driving, not punish them. I ended up having a 25 minute tirade on the guy at Nationwide because their "fabulous" rate for me was $203/month... are you fucking me right now?! I asked if I was going to at least get a courtesy reach around with that. For that price I'm going to go hit a Masserati with my Pathfinder... I hear the 2015 Pathfinder is quite nice, so maybe I should total mine for a new one... bunch of fucking crooks, and the worst part is, I have no choice but to deal with it!  Just had to rant...

Update: Found a new company that does usage based insurance. Better coverage than I had with Allstate, and my bill is estimated to be about $80/month.

Our premium is $60/month, and then it's 4 cents a mile up to 150/day. After 150  there's no longer a charge for that day, so road trips won't break the bank (not that they would). Using their model I would have to drive 3,000 miles a month to get to what Allstate was charging me.  It's insurance tailored for people that don't drive a lot, like me! YAY! I hope this thing goes nationwide, because this is a great idea.

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by アニメの雌犬 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I'm with you...  I used to pay $190 before we moved and now it's almost $250.  It's insane, but it's because of where we live now.  Rates are going up because people are driving around without insurance making those that have it - pay when there are accidents.

It's inanse and such a racket.

by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:19 PM

It all comes down to where you live and how many people file claims in your state. We are currently stationed in MO and our rates went up because MO has a high rate for claims. So when anyone files a claims everyones rates go up. We will be moving to a new state soon and I priced the insurance there and it will be even higher. We too, have no tickets, no DUIs. We are perfect drivers and are over the age of 30 but the rates keep going up. We have a 07 chevy 4 door truck and a 2012 chevy travers and we pay 96 for full coverage with USAA. Last year it was higher because we were new members. The longer you're a member the more discounts you may get. I price inurance companies all the time looking for a good deal. In the end, they always go up! No wonder why people don't have insurance, it is too costly!

by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Yeah, we were paying much less in WA than we are here in Fl.

by Julia on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM
I feel the same as you. Our insurance per month is a little over $200. That is with full coverage on a 2013 and 2003 vehicle, and rental reimbursement. I'm not thrilled with it, but I figured it's in part of where we live. It still sucks:/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM

we pay 585 every 6 months- that is for 2 cars ( full coverage) and 3 drivers. we get a discount for paying for 6 months, a multi vehicle discount, a multi-policy discount, a good driver discount and a low miles discount- we save almost 200 dollars every 6 months --- we have USAA.

by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Could it be the area you live in?

by Chel on Dec. 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Be thankful it isn't Germany rates. For my 2008 Chevy Impala is over 200 a month. But min here is 750,000 EURO Yep it is crazy expensive here.

by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 5:01 PM

When we lived in CA it was outrageous. MO was great. Our rate went down substantially. I think we paid $260 for six months coverage. MD it has gone up some but we can do $360 for six months full coverage for two cars, and basic coverage for the motorcycle. It is frustrating how expensive some places are compared to others. 

by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I cringe every 6 months we have to pay because my DH always goes on a rant about car insurance and what rip off it is. Then HE got in an accident and though he claims it was not, it WAS his fault so our insurance went up. Plus his car was damaged and guess which car we DONT carry rental on? Yep, you guessed it. I wanted to throw big heavy things at him. The insurance co pissed me off, my DH pissed me off, it was not good. Now my eye twitches every time it comes up again because he's the 1 the NEEDS coverage but doesn't want to pay for it!

by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Car insurance is outrageous. If you're in Cali, you have some of the highest rates.  :(

My understanding, at least what my agent told me when I called to complain about my own rates skyrocketing, is that there are so many accidents involving drivers who have no insurance being at fault, that the insurance companies have to raise the rates of everyone else to cover the uninsured/underinsured.    To which I inquired why I was required to identify my insurance company when I renewed my vehicle registration and would lose my license plates if my insurance was canceled.  No one had an explanation.

But don't run out and hit that Maserati.  After all you have paid, they will total your Pathfinder and tell you it has depreciated to 25 dollars and cut you a check for that.  They just suck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)