Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to cook for Christmas!

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM
  • 14 Replies
This year we will be home just the 4 of us. We are usually with our families or traveling on Christmas day. Do any of you have any traditions for a family of 4? We will be traveling the next day so we don't a lot of leftovers that we will have to throw out.
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mnkymommy08
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
This year it is our 4 kids, our neighbors, some friends, my MIL and I (11 people). DH just deployed so we decided to stay home and celebrate with friends and family so I bought a huge ham. However, if it was just the kids and I and we were travelling the next day, I would have done some stuffed Cornish hens with whatever sides and some cookies for dessert (can take leftover cookies on the trip). We always do Xmas jammies, hot cocoa and a new xmas movie for the kids on Xmas Eve in a shirt box. It's a tradition that we do even if we are visiting family for the holidays since the jammies and movies pack up easily. Last year we drove from Ft Bliss to NC so the kids also got an activity for the drive and a couple new movies to watch as well. Hope you have a good holiday and safe travels :)
Cafe MichelleP
by Gold Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 9:07 AM

I was going to suggest Cornish hens as well, with regular sides rather than family sides. Cookies and fudge can be taken on a road trip with you for the kids.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Do you have little kids or bigger kiddos? If you have little ones and really don't want leftovers I would get some pizza dough and either name 1 large Christmas tree shaped pizza with the toppings as "decorations" or use cookie cutters to make little individual pizzas and let the kids decorate them with toppings. It's not fancy but it is fun!

meandmyboys124
by on Dec. 21, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Since it's just us (2 adults and 3 small kids) we are doing turkey sandwiches and keeping things on the easy side
AdysonsMommy12
by Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Our girls are 4 and 2 so they don't eat very much. I was thinking of getting a very small ham and making a couple sides that I know everyone will eat. I'm hoping to make it to the grocery store today and figure out what to cook.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 22, 2014 at 4:25 AM

No clue as I'm not cooking this year!  LOL!  We are going to a friend's house:)

cocoroo
by on Dec. 22, 2014 at 7:42 AM
It will be my dh, my 20 yo son, his friend, my 16 yo dd, my 13 yo son, and my 12 yo dd. I'm making a turkey breast, a small ham, and the regular sides. I'm doing it on Christmas Eve. We leave on the 26th for France for a week, so I figure we can eat the leftovers on Christmas Day. I can also send some of the leftovers back to with my son and his friend. I know they don't cook for themselves in the barracks.
violinjewel
by Julia on Dec. 22, 2014 at 9:07 AM
I'm making a ham and traditional dinner, for our family. There are five of us, two adults, the kids are 8 and 6, and the baby. Maybe make just a turkey breast, with smaller sides. If you have leftover turkey, you can freeze it, and it should last till you get back home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 22, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Great idea...glad your son is coming over!

Quoting cocoroo: It will be my dh, my 20 yo son, his friend, my 16 yo dd, my 13 yo son, and my 12 yo dd. I'm making a turkey breast, a small ham, and the regular sides. I'm doing it on Christmas Eve. We leave on the 26th for France for a week, so I figure we can eat the leftovers on Christmas Day. I can also send some of the leftovers back to with my son and his friend. I know they don't cook for themselves in the barracks.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 22, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Easy also means little to no clean up:)

Quoting meandmyboys124: Since it's just us (2 adults and 3 small kids) we are doing turkey sandwiches and keeping things on the easy side

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)