Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HI!

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:42 AM
  • 7 Replies
So I'm new to this group but not new to military life.
My husband has been out of the army for 2yrs and was in for about 6.5yrs(held back a little on last deployment).
If all goes right he will be joining back soon.
While he was in for 6yrs we were only at two bases, Ft. Campbell with the 101st and JBLM with 4-2.
I'm looking for opinions on of post/on at Ft. Belvior VA and Ft. huachua AZ. I know personal opinion matters a lot but I'm looking more for the factual pros and cons.
At both previous stations we rented of post. We were young and didn't really weigh things so we ended up in not so nice areas trying to keep under our BAH.
Any other imputs would be nice.

I totally know and understand that nothing is set in stone until it happens. I'm just doing some pre emptive research :)
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Welcome to the group!  Hope things go well for you guys.  My husband is Navy, so I honestly don't know anything the stations you are referring to.  Good luck!

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I've never been to Ft Belvoir, but the cost of living there is extremely high. I would imagine that in that area, traffic is pretty bad, too. Ft Huachuca is a different pace and the mountains are beautiful. They have the best housing in the military. Off-post housing is very nice, also. I'm not sure what size home you require, but a 2000 sq ft 4 BR home off post will run anywhere from $1100-1600/mo. Utilities are affordable ... we paid about $70-150/mo for electric and our home had natural gas, so we paid $60-100/mo for that, and water is super cheap; our water bill was around $20/mo.

Petuniapants10
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Thanks!
The more research I'm doing makes me want AZ over VA for cost alone lol! But the homes of post in VA are gorgeous!

Wea are a family of 5 all boys. 3bdr would be fine for us but 4would be amazing. We currently live in an 800sqft 2bdr duplex so any thing they give us will be an upgrade!

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I've never been to Ft Belvoir, but the cost of living there is extremely high. I would imagine that in that area, traffic is pretty bad, too. Ft Huachuca is a different pace and the mountains are beautiful. They have the best housing in the military. Off-post housing is very nice, also. I'm not sure what size home you require, but a 2000 sq ft 4 BR home off post will run anywhere from $1100-1600/mo. Utilities are affordable ... we paid about $70-150/mo for electric and our home had natural gas, so we paid $60-100/mo for that, and water is super cheap; our water bill was around $20/mo.

Petuniapants10
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks!
My brother is in the Navy!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome to the group!  Hope things go well for you guys.  My husband is Navy, so I honestly don't know anything the stations you are referring to.  Good luck!

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:28 PM
You can't beat the weather in SE Arizona, either. The area isn't very cosmopolitan, but life was great there. I didn't want to leave!

Quoting Petuniapants10: Thanks!
The more research I'm doing makes me want AZ over VA for cost alone lol! But the homes of post in VA are gorgeous!

Wea are a family of 5 all boys. 3bdr would be fine for us but 4would be amazing. We currently live in an 800sqft 2bdr duplex so any thing they give us will be an upgrade!

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

sgtLF
by Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Welcome 

LuLuRex
by Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Hello and welcome to the group. I'm new too. My DH has been in the Navy for 7 years, but I just joined this group.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)