• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Base Housing Question

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM
  • 31 Replies
Hi, my name is Melissa. My DH was stationed in Vicenza and is to report to Kirtland AFB March 12 for an active duty position. They made him wait 6mo to take the position so he is currently reserve. We have a baby on the way (Due March 23) and were hoping to get into base housing before baby comes. Does anyone know how soon prior to your report date can you move into base housing?
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mnkymommy08
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM
You can't move in until after you arrive and report in. As soon as he gets PCS orders he needs to call housing and get put on the list. You will not be eligible for an extra room until after the baby is born though. So if it is just you two then you will get whatever he qualifies for.
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:13 PM

you cannot get assigned a unit until your DH reports and checks in.

depending on the area you may have a several months wait, if it is just the 2 of you and a baby on the way, you will get a 2 bedroom. Many times it is cheaper to get a place off base.

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Get on the waiting list soon as he gets orders! Call them or check out their website to see how. When I was pregnant housing always gave me an extra room for baby.
SuperEpi
by Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this
There should be a contact for housing prior to your move... We had our housing set up before we left. Check with Family Services and they may give you more information. We're in off base military housing through Lincoln Military... Google them and some (not all) of their employees may be able to point you in the right direction even if they don't cover your area themselves. Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 29, 2014 at 5:09 AM

Quoting SuperEpi: There should be a contact for housing prior to your move... We had our housing set up before we left. Check with Family Services and they may give you more information. We're in off base military housing through Lincoln Military... Google them and some (not all) of their employees may be able to point you in the right direction even if they don't cover your area themselves. Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy!

You can have your name on waiting list, but you can't be assigned a home until you move to the new location and your spouse checks in to his new command.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 29, 2014 at 5:10 AM

I agree here.

Quoting gunsgirl:

you cannot get assigned a unit until your DH reports and checks in.

depending on the area you may have a several months wait, if it is just the 2 of you and a baby on the way, you will get a 2 bedroom. Many times it is cheaper to get a place off base.

SuperEpi
by Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 1:21 PM
That wasn't the way it happened for us. Once we had orders, we were able to choose from a hot sheet (units that would be opening immediately). We already knew where we were moving and what our address would be. We moved in the day his orders began, before he checked in. But I guess it depends on branch, location, and, in our case we are in off base military housing.

Quoting darbyakeep45:
Quoting SuperEpi: There should be a contact for housing prior to your move... We had our housing set up before we left. Check with Family Services and they may give you more information. We're in off base military housing through Lincoln Military... Google them and some (not all) of their employees may be able to point you in the right direction even if they don't cover your area themselves. Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy!

You can have your name on waiting list, but you can't be assigned a home until you move to the new location and your spouse checks in to his new command.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 30, 2014 at 5:29 AM

That's interesting.  Most places we've lived didn't have anything available right away so we had to wait a little bit.  We only lived in housing twice though...Hawaii and Connecticut, each time we only lived there 8-9 months.  We prefer to not live in housing.  

Quoting SuperEpi: That wasn't the way it happened for us. Once we had orders, we were able to choose from a hot sheet (units that would be opening immediately). We already knew where we were moving and what our address would be. We moved in the day his orders began, before he checked in. But I guess it depends on branch, location, and, in our case we are in off base military housing.
Quoting darbyakeep45:

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2014 at 6:45 AM

where did you PCS too and what branch and what time of year?

Quoting SuperEpi: That wasn't the way it happened for us. Once we had orders, we were able to choose from a hot sheet (units that would be opening immediately). We already knew where we were moving and what our address would be. We moved in the day his orders began, before he checked in. But I guess it depends on branch, location, and, in our case we are in off base military housing.
Quoting darbyakeep45:

mom2jessnky
by on Dec. 30, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

You can get on the list for housing as soon as he has orders, you cannot move into that housing until you get there though.

And since you're pregnant you will qualify for at least a 2 bedroom (I've never heard of 1 bedroom housing anyway though). In my experience they count the fetus as a kid too. We had a 2 bedroom, I got pregnant with my second and we qualified for a 3 bedroom while I was pregnant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)