Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: Parents Are Shocked to See Sons Robbing Store

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:56 PM
  • 2 Replies

Parents Are Shocked to See Sons Robbing Store on Evening News 

It's every parent's dream to turn on the TV and watch their kid accepting some kind of prestigious award -- and every parent's nightmare to turn on the tube and see their kids robbing a store. Unfortunately, it was the second scenario that parents in Fayetteville, North Carolina, got hit with when the news show they were watching featured surveillance camera footage of five teen boys robbing a store -- and mom and dad recognized two of the teens as their own.

Video of the five teens wearing hoodies and relieving a store of its laptops, cellphones, and other electronic items was broadcast on the evening news and right to the eyeballs of the unnamed parents.

Now, I know most if not all of us would say, "I would call the police! That's exactly what I'd do!"

But would you REALLY?! Would you really knowing that a conviction on burglary charges like this could mean many things -- could mean your child goes away for a very long time to a juvenile detention center where that child learns even worse behavior? Could mean that your child gets a record that could follow him around for the rest of his life, making it difficult to get jobs? That your child's mug could be on the Internet forever and ever?

Would you really?

Well, these parents did. The unnamed mom and dad finished watching the report and immediately hauled their 14- and 16-year-old boys to the police.

While I totally respect them and think I would have done the same, I'm not 100 percent certain. I don't think anyone can be until faced with that scenario.

The owner of the store that was robbed told a news station:

To the [parents] who turned them in, thank you. I'm hating that it's your kids, but thank you for doing the right thing.

The parents were reportedly at church when the surveillance footage first aired -- but they had videotaped it for later viewing.

Sounds like these apples fell very, very far from these trees. But hopefully with caring parents like these, they can find their way back to the correct orchard.

What would you really do?

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jan. 7, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Will someone ask Kiri what the other options are? Yes, that is really what I would do.

mom2jessnky
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Yes I would really do what they did, I'm not going to allow my kids to get away with breaking the law. What an awful message to send. You have to obey laws, you have to follow rules, JUST KIDDING!!

This "writer" is an asshat...I swear every single "article" she writes makes me lose more faith in the human race.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)