Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: Disney Cruise Line Forces Family off Ship

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:12 PM
  • 6 Replies

http://www.10news.com/news/disney-cruise-line-forces-family-off-ship-officials-say-4-month-old-baby-too-young-to-be-onboard?

The family cruise to the Bahamas was going great, until four members of the group were asked to pack up their things and disembark in Nassau.

North Naples resident Dave Berg boarded the Disney cruise ship out of Miami on Dec. 30 with 31 family members. Berg said his mother-in-law is sick with cancer and the cruise was part of her bucket list.

Everything was going well, Berg said, until Thursday morning, when his 4-month-old granddaughter began spitting up. Berg’s daughter Jennifer Moak brought the infant to the ship’s doctor, who gave her some medicine for seasickness. But just hours later, someone from the doctor’s office phoned Moak’s husband, saying they wanted to do another checkup on the baby.

Instead of a checkup, the doctor then told the couple they would have to disembark, according to the family.

“He said because of her age, she wasn’t supposed to be on the ship and that they would be — I think the word that he used was ‘terminating’ our stay on the ship,” Moak said Monday.

The family said the medical staff cited the baby’s age and need for safety as reasons they could not keep her onboard.

Disney Cruise Line changed its policy on infant travel last summer. Previously, babies younger than 12 weeks were not permitted onboard, but starting Jan. 1, the cruise line increased the age requirement to 6 months old. A representative from the company said all parents who had existing reservations, like the Moaks, would not be affected.

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mom2jessnky
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:15 PM

If you read the whole article the guy says something along the lines of "Hopefully Disney will find someway to make this up to us." and that right there has me all squinty eyed. 

It does sound like the whole thing was handled poorly, but the guy sounds greedy. I'd say at most the people that had to disembark the ship should be refunded cruise fare for the days they missed. So if it was a 5 day cruise and they missed 3 days, refund those 3 days of fare and apologize for inconvenience and possibly retrain some employees on how to handle this in the future. 

sbranom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:51 PM

I'm always skeptical with articles like these. At most, they should be refunded their cruise passage and any costs incurred from traveling back home from Nassau.

mom2jessnky
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:30 PM
From my understanding disney paid for their hotel and to get them home already since that is their policy.

Quoting sbranom:

I'm always skeptical with articles like these. At most, they should be refunded their cruise passage and any costs incurred from traveling back home from Nassau.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:36 PM

There was no way for the cruise line to "win" here. If they had allowed the baby to stay on and other had gotten sick that's bad press. If something terrible had happened and the baby had gotten sicker/dehydrated/had a seizure and needed a medi-vac they would have had a fit about that too. Also, having booked a cruise with Disney for November & having cruised with them before, it is very clear when you book that if you want to protect your investment you should buy the travel insurance. It covers transportation home from any port or cancellation if illness happens. Not DCL's fault they didn't do that. I'm sure they had them go home from Nassau to cover their butts in case the baby got seriously ill. That young, it's dicey if they are throwing up and I wouldn't want to be responsible for medicating a child that young either. And God forbid if the baby died, the doctor on board would be crucified.

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:42 PM

I'm guessing the staff onboard wasn't made aware of the authorization for prior booked reservations. The staff did their job by following the new protocol, but I'm guessing they should have checked back at headquarters before giving them the boot. I feel bad for the family, but the dad did sound very greedy. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Bump to read a little later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)