Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deployment POAs overseas

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
Does this sound right to you? Sorry it's so long.

DH is stationed overseas and his first deployment is coming up. Today we had plans to go get power of attorney documents done. He called ahead this morning to tell them our intentions and get an opinion about what all is needed. He asked about a general POA as a cover all and they told him that "is giving your wife a lot of power" and to rethink it. We have been married over 10 years and I have already taken all of the power so this is not an issue for us lol.

Anyway, so we go in and they were mid switching staff. The person we had was an E7 and within 5 mins she has stated that she is new to the office and base, hates the base and complained about the office. She was the only one working and quickly more people piled in behind us in the waiting room. She seemed overwhelmed and annoyed with our presence overall. She told us a general POA is useless over here (the opposite of what was said when DH first called) as they all want specifics. As soon as we start listing the specific POAs that we foresee possibly needing such as bank accounts (we've heard stories that the banks here can be difficult), our lease and the ability to lease another property if we need to move out (our lease is up while he'll be gone and we've had some issues with maintenance an the landlord), the ability for me to junk or sell a car in his name (they are older vehicles so it could happen) and for me to take the kids out of the country. She told us that all of these things are pointless and we that we should just wait until after he is gone to see if we need actually need them. Our concern is that with him working 12 hour shift/6 days a week plus the time difference it will be difficult and very stressful to do that if the time comes.

I had to leave to pick our DS but DH had her do them anyway. She put all of the POA's on one form (that includes our bank account information). Is that how it's supposed to be done? If the car people needed a copy wouldn't that compromise our bank information? Did we go overkill like she said?

Thanks for reading and any input as we are now utterly confused with all of this!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Frogy
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

NO that doesn't sound right. I would find someone else to deal with if you can.  Your personal info should never be on a POA.  Even if it is cicilian no info goes on them. 

We are dealing with our first Deployment and my husband did a general. 

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Last time DH deployed(which was about 3 years ago now and stateside) we got a general one AND one specific for banking. I could see wanting a 3rd for the lease there. Not sure about the one traveling with the kids because we were stateside and I have no idea how that works trying to travel through Europe or what have you. Hopefully one of the others stationed overseas will be able to tell you for sure.

mnkymommy08
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
For DH's past deployments and this current one we have done a general and specific POAs. That doesn't sound right at all. I would go back and ask for someone else to do them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:06 PM
We have to go back in because we didn't have the cars Vin numbers with us so I may request to have the banking done separately then. After reading over what she did it sounds okay, although she had some typos, but what you said about the personal information makes sense.

Quoting Frogy:

NO that doesn't sound right. I would find someone else to deal with if you can.  Your personal info should never be on a POA.  Even if it is cicilian no info goes on them. 

We are dealing with our first Deployment and my husband did a general. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:09 PM
Were the specifics all on one sheet listed by paragraphs or separate sheets? We are thinking we need car, lease, kids, taxes and bank account. I just don't know what is protocol here and she was new to overseas and didn't seem to know either.

Quoting mnkymommy08: For DH's past deployments and this current one we have done a general and specific POAs. That doesn't sound right at all. I would go back and ask for someone else to do them.
mnkymommy08
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
They are all on separate sheets. We've got one for taxes, one for housing, one for finances, one for vehicles and a general POA as well. Didn't take very long to get them done. And I probably won't need a single one (I haven't yet. Lol) but better safe than sorry

Quoting Anonymous 1: Were the specifics all on one sheet listed by paragraphs or separate sheets? We are thinking we need car, lease, kids, taxes and bank account. I just don't know what is protocol here and she was new to overseas and didn't seem to know either.

Quoting mnkymommy08: For DH's past deployments and this current one we have done a general and specific POAs. That doesn't sound right at all. I would go back and ask for someone else to do them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2015 at 7:04 PM
Thank you! I'm hoping not to need them either but then I think of the issues we have had when he's just TDY so I know it's necessary! I was shocked that a person from legal was telling us not to worry about a POA at all, it didn't sound like sound legal advice, especially in a foreign country.

Quoting mnkymommy08: They are all on separate sheets. We've got one for taxes, one for housing, one for finances, one for vehicles and a general POA as well. Didn't take very long to get them done. And I probably won't need a single one (I haven't yet. Lol) but better safe than sorry

Quoting Anonymous 1: Were the specifics all on one sheet listed by paragraphs or separate sheets? We are thinking we need car, lease, kids, taxes and bank account. I just don't know what is protocol here and she was new to overseas and didn't seem to know either.

mnkymommy08
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 7:31 PM
When he went to SRP the first thing they had him do was get POAs done. He said his butt wasn't even in the seat and they started talking about what he would need them for. Lol. Good luck with everything and I hope y'all can get it all squared away. :)

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thank you! I'm hoping not to need them either but then I think of the issues we have had when he's just TDY so I know it's necessary! I was shocked that a person from legal was telling us not to worry about a POA at all, it didn't sound like sound legal advice, especially in a foreign country.

Quoting mnkymommy08: They are all on separate sheets. We've got one for taxes, one for housing, one for finances, one for vehicles and a general POA as well. Didn't take very long to get them done. And I probably won't need a single one (I haven't yet. Lol) but better safe than sorry

cocoroo
by on Jan. 21, 2015 at 1:27 AM

Where do you live?  We are in Germany.  I don't think the banking and housing would be much of an issue, because we bank on post and all of our leases have to go through the on post housing office.  Plus, for the banking my name is on all the accounts. I don't worry about taking my children out of the country, because we are married and they all have travel and official passports.  My friends take their kids all over Europe all the time when their dh's are on missions.  The car might be an issue, but I'm not sure.  My dh has deployed many times in the states and I have only ever had a general POA that I was able to use for banking, buying a house, a car, leasing an apartment, etc.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Jan. 21, 2015 at 4:15 AM
1 mom liked this
*if* customs in a country you're traveling to wanted to make an issue out of it they could detain you or deny entry without proper documentation from your husband saying you can travel with the kids. Legally, you he'd consent from both parents but typically all you need is a letter stating such, not a POA.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)