Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pointers for a National Guard family going ACTIVE duty in 45 days??

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:52 AM
  • 16 Replies
The husband is shipping out for training in 45 days and I'm going back to my hometown until we get stationed someplace. Any advice about going active? I have a feeling I know NOTHING...
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sbranom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Is this a temporary assignment, or is it permanent?  What would you like to know?

MickeyMooMoo
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM
Signed a 5.year contract. So mostly permanent. Planning to make a career out of it. He's been NG for 8 years, and that's what I'm used to. We plan to live on post first just to get the lay of the land. I just feel like I'm gonna be "that wife" the one that makes her soldier-husband look stupid, because she doesn't know anything about Army life!
sbranom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:15 PM

I would then suggest going to your local ACS and sign up for Army Family Team Building (AFTB) classes. It'll teach you things like acronyms, how to read a LES, proper protocol and other things you might need to know.

MickeyMooMoo
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:57 PM
And what is ACS? Lol
cocoroo
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Army Community Service.  I volunteer there with our volunteer community service for our area. They offer a ton of classes.  They have classes to teach you the ways of the Army (AFTB), finance classes, our WIC office is there, our volunteer coordinator, parenting classes, etc.  This is our local schedule, so you can see all the classes and services provided.  I'm overseas, so mine might be a bit different.

Quoting MickeyMooMoo: And what is ACS? Lol

MickeyMooMoo
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:28 PM
Okay. Awesome. Maybe I can get to one while he in training. It's set me at ease a lot!
cocoroo
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Every installation has an ACS.  You just need to find it.  I had never been to one until I moved here.  This is our 6th duty station, lol.  I never thought I needed it.  Now, I go to a ton of classes.  I'm a spouse sponsor, CARE Team qualified, ACS volunteer, I did FRG treasurer training, keycaller training, etc.

Just go with the flow, you will figure things out.

Quoting MickeyMooMoo: Okay. Awesome. Maybe I can get to one while he in training. It's set me at ease a lot!

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 5:01 PM

the move to your home town will not be paid for unless his training is 20 weeks or longer.

they will move only move you from the place he enlisted AD- so  for instance- if you currently live in Killeen tx and you want to move to FL- and he gets sent to CA they will only pay to move you from killeen- not from FL. and this can be very expensive moving on your own.

for housing- you may have to rent a place until housing has an opening, sometimes there is a year or more wait.

do you or another dependent have any special medical or educational needs? it is manditory to enroll in the EFMP ( exeptional Family member program). even things like asthma and mild depression are required to enroll, if you have a child with an IEP they need to be enrolled in this program also.

hth"s

MickeyMooMoo
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 5:48 PM
Thank you for the tips. We are moving me to Missouri, and we're told they will pay from MO to duty station. His training is 21 weeks tho. Not sure if that was wrong or not. As far as the ieps and stuff, we do not have any of those things or medical issues.
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 10:23 AM

then it is a PCS if it is 21 weeks...you need to see if they will house him since it is a PCS, the BAH will change to that location and Married members on PCS orders  generally cannot live in the Barracks for free.

he needs to call the school to see if they will require him to live off base since he has accompanied PCS orders.

you may be able to get a designated move- but they will still only pay for the distance from the duty station ( School location) to the new duty station any costs over that will be out of pocket. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)