Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A little frustrated!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

I have a question. H&R block says my sailor can't claim the spousal support and BAH that was paid out during the divorce. Because it wasn't court ordered! WTH?? The Navy demands spousal support, but they can't claim this on taxes? Pay was for being married with a dependent for most of last year. So now they didn't take enough taxes, because they can't claim support and BAH, with out it being court ordered?

Does this sound right? Any suggestions?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:32 AM
3 moms liked this

You need a tax adviser; I wouldn't get my information from the internet, no matter how nice these ladies might be. I don't like to mess around with the IRS because they could potentially haunt you for years.

If you are married now and filing jointly, you can talk with the people from H&R Block and ask them to show you where in the code they are getting their information and/or talk with someone else from another tax service.  You could also call one of the tax help lines and ask the question there.  If you are not married, then your Sailor needs to do this himself.

Reina13
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:17 AM

You need to go directly to your local IRS office and ask them yourself. The IRS and taxes is something you do NOT want to mess around with and end up getting wrong. 

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

the IRS says it is only claimable if there is a court order. voluntary payments are not claimable:

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc452.html

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

he cam claim everything after the court order went into effect.

however, the BAH cannot ever be claimed because it is not a taxable allowance any way, regardless of whom it goes to, you can only deduct the amount of court ordered support from taxable income.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:00 PM
Yeah that sucks! Senior chief says pay 1/3 of your salary and BAH and now it can't be claimed!

Quoting gunsgirl:

the IRS says it is only claimable if there is a court order. voluntary payments are not claimable:

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc452.html

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:01 PM
Oh didn't know that about BAH!

Quoting gunsgirl:

he cam claim everything after the court order went into effect.

however, the BAH cannot ever be claimed because it is not a taxable allowance any way, regardless of whom it goes to, you can only deduct the amount of court ordered support from taxable income.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:08 PM

No clue.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)