Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Government Issued Travel Card for PCS????

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:59 AM
  • 24 Replies

I was told they have a new government card that they issue you when you PCS. This is our first PCS and im starting to worry about money. Has anyone used this new card that can tell me more about it? Also my husband will be putting in for advanced DLA how soon do you recieve it? Thank you! 

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:16 PM

My husband has a government credit card for travel purposes, but not for PCS purposes...never heard of that before.  But, we haven't moved in over 7 years.  We've received advanced DLA either...always got it after the fact  Good luck!

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:17 PM

everything depends on the branch your in.

each branch does it differently and to give you the best answer I need to know which branch.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:20 PM

When we PCSed they gave us our advance on DLA before we started movement to our new station. We were told you can use your GTC for a PCS but just remember that you need to pay it back. An advance in your DLA should be enough to cover everything. My husband wouldn't use the GTC

houseElf617
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:20 PM
Highly doubt it. The military is scaling down, and will reimburse you for certain PCS expenses. We are headed overseas (hubby just received orders last month) and will pay all costs associated upfront, and be reibursed for applicable ones. My husbands gov credit card is used specifically for his government travel on orders, not PCS moves.
jcrew6
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

You can get an advance.

Army and Air Force have cc.programs that may still be in the test stages.  But,can only charge reimbursable moving expenses to the card. That means things like airfare, lodging and meals can be charged, while expenses like clothing, pet care, parking and traffic fines and batteries cannot. 

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/10/23/troops-issued-government-travel-cards-for-pcs-expenses.html

houseElf617
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Good to know! I've not heard of that (hubby is a Marine).

Quoting jcrew6:

You can get an advance.

Army and Air Force have cc.programs that may still be in the test stages.  But,can only charge reimbursable moving expenses to the card. That means things like airfare, lodging and meals can be charged, while expenses like clothing, pet care, parking and traffic fines and batteries cannot. 

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/10/23/troops-issued-government-travel-cards-for-pcs-expenses.html

jcrew6
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:30 PM

The article says that the AF already has it in place.  However, I know there have been some issues with the AF program and not all Base commanders are using the CC program.  Figures they wouldn't all do the same thing.  That whole consistency thing might catch on. ;)

Quoting houseElf617: Good to know! I've not heard of that (hubby is a Marine).
Quoting jcrew6:

You can get an advance.

xoutstarrs
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Army sorry!! I have been reading on DoD websites that as of July 25th 2014 all PCS moves will be done with the Government issued credit card.

Quoting gunsgirl:

each branch does it differently and to give you the best answer I need to know which branch.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:01 PM

Good point.  Different branches work different ways.

Quoting gunsgirl:

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:57 PM

If I remember correctly they had us use the GTC for our PCS here 3 years ago. Just for lodging, gas, & food. Your DH should get a briefing during outrocessing about how much the daily allowance is for food. As I recall, he submitted everything(receipts and whatnot) for travel expenses and it was fine, we didn't have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed or anything. For once the paperwork Gods smiled on us and no bills landed in our laps. It actually seemed a little easier that way, though we only drove one state over from NM to TX so we weren't on the road long but we had one night in a hotel until TLF had a room and then we had to stay in TLF for 30 days until we found & closed on our house but we didn't have trouble getting it paid for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)