Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New duty station

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:03 AM
  • 12 Replies
Well it looks like we will be heading to Naval Station Mayport in January! Anyone else in the area? Have any advise? We have a 4 and a 2 year old. We will be looking for a house to rent in a nice neighborhood. I'd love to meet others that are in the area.
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group! I'm from South Georgia so I know that area but we have never been stationed there.
AdysonsMommy12
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:21 PM
Thank you!
libbybell
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:24 PM
I have never been there. My next door neighbor had Mayport as their last duty station. She was not happy at first. She said when she got there it was great. The kids went to the beach a lot. There was a lot of things to do for free. She said the ladies in base housing were really nice and she made lots of friends.
AdysonsMommy12
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:29 PM
So mayport is bad or their new duty station? Sry blonde moment.
Brysonsmom2006
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:16 PM

Never been there but good luck with your move.

good luck

AdysonsMommy12
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:17 PM
Thank you!
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2015 at 8:20 AM

we lived there for 6 years- stay away from Mayport- look in Jax beach, Atlantic beach or north of the intercoastal waterway. we loved the area, but it is expensive near the ocean, cheaper on the other side of the intercoastal, lots to do in JAX, get an annual pass to the zoo, it is well worth the cost.

lost of parks, festivals, museums, beaches, ect.

crime is horrible- traffic is aweful-- the downfalls of being in a very large city. many poeple choose to live north of JAX in OCeanway ot Nassau coounty and commuting.

DH got stationed in JAX and we chose to buy in GA, DH commuted 54 miles each way every day for 3 years.

AdysonsMommy12
by Member on Apr. 13, 2015 at 10:53 AM
Thank you very much for all of the info!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 14, 2015 at 9:05 PM
Good advice!!!

Quoting gunsgirl:

we lived there for 6 years- stay away from Mayport- look in Jax beach, Atlantic beach or north of the intercoastal waterway. we loved the area, but it is expensive near the ocean, cheaper on the other side of the intercoastal, lots to do in JAX, get an annual pass to the zoo, it is well worth the cost.

crime is horrible- traffic is aweful-- the downfalls of being in a very large city. many poeple choose to live north of JAX in OCeanway ot Nassau coounty and commuting.

DH got stationed in JAX and we chose to buy in GA, DH commuted 54 miles each way every day for 3 years.

AdysonsMommy12
by Member on Apr. 23, 2015 at 4:24 PM
Do you know any of the zip codes for the nice areas to look for a house?

Quoting gunsgirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)