Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving across country with toddlers

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 8:59 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ladies I need tips on dealing with a move and adjusting for the time difference. We are on the east coast and getting ready to move to Washington. That's a three hour time difference my 16 month old twins have to adjust to!  We have always stuck to a very strict schedule as far as meals, naps, and bed time so everythign will have to move three hours back and both babies need to do it together. To say I'm dreading it is an understatement. Have any of you dealt with this? I need helpful tips!

by on May. 5, 2015 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:20 PM

I have not done it with a 3 hour time difference but I've done it with a 2 hour time difference, 3x now. Honestly, I just went by whatever time we were in and acted the same. Usually only took a day to adjust completely. That first night I might allow a 30 minute difference in bedtime but that's about it. Are you driving over or flying? If you are driving their schedule is going to be screwed up anyway because they will be sleeping in the car and eating at different times but you more time to adjust to the time difference. On a plane it's more abrupt but I think it's easier to adjust that way(sort of like ripping off a bandaid). I've only done it with 1 though, not 2. I think if you mentally prepare that things are going to be a little funky for a few days but go back to normal as soon as possible it should be ok. I definitely recommend having good blackout curtains for their bedroom though because in summer the sun will be up much later and it makes it harder to get them to sleep on time(unless they are night owls!)

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 5, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Well if you're driving you will adjust as you have a few days of travel. And their schedule will be messed up anyway between stopping at different times than normal to eat, or them falling asleep more often because they are stuck in the car. Don't worry about it. You will pick back up their schedule once you get to Washington and get settled. We are moving across the country too in 3 weeks. Good luck.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 6, 2015 at 5:53 AM

We have never moved with our son...not more than 15 minutes away.  I have no clue to be honest.  Glad these ladies can offer some advice.  Hugs and good luck!

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2015 at 7:33 AM

we went from FL to AK ( 5 hours time difference) and tho it is always an adjustment to a time change, within a few days we had acclimated. regardless of the time zone- bed time was still 7 pm, school still started at 7:40 am, lunch was still at lunch time.

it will not be as hard as you think it will be, but my advice is be very flexible with the drive times, there are days when you will start late, eat early stop early or late, with all this change getting back into a routine will be the easy part.

kmeow
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 8:30 AM
I'm moving to Washington tomorrow! I flew my sister out to drive with me, and we plan to only drive during nighttime to make it easier on my daughter who screams when she is in her car seat whenever she's awake. Is that an option for you? It will probably be easier to adjust to the time difference if it is gradual, though honestly I don't have much experience with this. Good luck!
JessVolbeda
by New Member on May. 6, 2015 at 10:20 AM

My husband and dad are driving. The kids, my mom and I are flying. What base are you going to?

Quoting kmeow: I'm moving to Washington tomorrow! I flew my sister out to drive with me, and we plan to only drive during nighttime to make it easier on my daughter who screams when she is in her car seat whenever she's awake. Is that an option for you? It will probably be easier to adjust to the time difference if it is gradual, though honestly I don't have much experience with this. Good luck!

kmeow
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 11:04 AM
Lewis-Mcchord. We drive everywhere! I've got two cats and a dog so flying would be nuts! Good luck with your flight!

Quoting JessVolbeda:

My husband and dad are driving. The kids, my mom and I are flying. What base are you going to?

Quoting kmeow: I'm moving to Washington tomorrow! I flew my sister out to drive with me, and we plan to only drive during nighttime to make it easier on my daughter who screams when she is in her car seat whenever she's awake. Is that an option for you? It will probably be easier to adjust to the time difference if it is gradual, though honestly I don't have much experience with this. Good luck!

twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Just did WA to Fl last August. My twins are older so the school schedule has been rough for us. In Wa they didn't get on the bus until 845. Here they have to catch the bus at 7am. Wa is more laid back in my opinion than what we are used to. I miss WA. Very beautiful up there. I don't care for Florida.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 7, 2015 at 1:27 PM

We went from Japan to England.  No tips - just do it.  Get there, establish the new routine and they'll adjust.  They're more resilient than you think.

LeslieD2012
by New Member on May. 9, 2015 at 9:06 PM

I went from Washington (born and raised their, totally jealous that you are headed that way) to Texas. It was only two hours difference but my 3 yr old had a harder time adjusting than my 18 month old. My son (3) took about a week to get used to the time but we did it slowly so that he did not get too off his schedule. Luckily since my husband and I traveled down here before my children did we were able to have my mom, who had the kids, help with the adjustment prior to the kids coming down. The easiest thing that helped us even if it was horrible at times, was skipping naps. Both kids did much better than I thought they would. Good luck! Try to make it to the beach while you are there. Oh and go up to Orcus Island. My kids loved watching the whales when we were on the ferry, maybe yours will too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)