Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Joining army

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 7:39 PM
  • 14 Replies
Hi moms. I know this group is for families in the military but I need advice. I am very interested in joining the army but am very nervous. My SO says he 100% supports me I'm just nervous to leave. Any advice appreciated
by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
s.bruinix
by New Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 8:16 PM
Bump
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Dec. 12, 2016 at 11:46 AM

There's no need to borrow trouble. Take one step at a time. Have you been working with a recruiter? 

Cenedra64
by on Dec. 12, 2016 at 11:55 AM

I was in the Army I say go for it!   Just be sure to pick your MOS wisely.  Find out what the promotions in that MOS are.  Some promote slow. 

AmaliaD
by on Dec. 12, 2016 at 12:00 PM
When your gut speaks-LISTEN
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2016 at 1:39 PM

do you have kids?

DisabledVet
by on Dec. 12, 2016 at 3:36 PM

I loved my military service.  I had an MOS (the job you decide on) I enjoyed and loved basic training. But I was also a military brat and used to the military.  It also paid for my college.  But it's not for everyone.  While I was in basic we had 4 women drop out for various reasons.  

One of the things peopel worry about is being able to make it physically through basic training.  Click here for help

You'll need to take the ASVAB test.  You'll want to do your very best as it determines what MOS's you'll be eleigeble for. 

ASVAB Test Explained

ASVAB Tests Sample Questions

Free ASVAB Practice Test

What Scores Do You Need to Pass the ASVAB Test?

There is no way to know if you'll love or hate the military.  How are you about getting up early often with little or no notice?  Being called in at any time, night or day (even when you're on leave)?  Being separated from your family (you may be stationed someplace that they can't go.  I spent 6 months away from my family because I had training in Germany.) Are you ok being out in the field and living in a tent?  I once spent 3 weeks on extended maneuvers, living out in the wilderness, with no other women around.  Not being able to bathe everyday (there aren't always showers out in the field).  Staying up all night on guard duty after putting in a full day at work? Eating things you may not like.  Wearing the same thing to work?  Is your family willing to move to different states and countries?  Up until you're a certain rank, you'll have to pay for their housing, food, etc with no reimbursement from the military.  Are you able to take orders without question?  Do strenuous physical activity?  Live in a barracks with other women and no privacy?  Obey all the rules?

Here are some articles that might help you:

Which Military Branch To Join | Joining The Armed Forces - US ...

10 Impressive Pros and Cons of Joining the Army | ConnectUS

List of 15 Big Pros and Cons of the Air Force | ConnectUS

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Dec. 12, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Her profile says she has 3 kids and I'm guessing that she is not married because of the reference to SO. Single mom, 3 dependents ... 

Quoting gunsgirl:

do you have kids?

s.bruinix
by New Member on Dec. 12, 2016 at 6:53 PM
Yes and I have taken the ASVAB. I honestly believe in just nervous about basic

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

There's no need to borrow trouble. Take one step at a time. Have you been working with a recruiter? 

s.bruinix
by New Member on Dec. 12, 2016 at 6:54 PM
Yes to pretty much all the questions.

I have already taken my ASVAB and my recruiter said I did very good.

Quoting DisabledVet:

I
loved my military service.  I had an MOS (the job you decide on) I
enjoyed and loved basic training. But I was also a military brat and
used to the military.  It also paid for my college.  But it's not for everyone.  While I was in basic we had 4 women drop out for various reasons.  

One of the things peopel worry about is being able to make it physically through basic training.  Click here for help

You'll need to take the ASVAB test.  You'll want to do your very best as it determines what MOS's you'll be eleigeble for. 

ASVAB Test Explained

ASVAB Tests Sample Questions

Free ASVAB Practice Test

What Scores Do You Need to Pass the ASVAB Test?

There is no way to know if you'll love or hate the military.  How are you about getting up early often with little or no notice?  Being called in at any time, night or day (even when you're on leave)?  Being separated from your family (you may be stationed someplace that they can't go.  I spent 6 months away from my family because I had training in Germany.) Are you ok being out in the field and living in a tent?  I once spent 3 weeks on extended maneuvers, living out in the wilderness, with no other women around.  Not being able to bathe everyday (there aren't always showers out in the field).  Staying up all night on guard duty after putting in a full day at work? Eating things you may not like.  Wearing the same thing to work?  Is your family willing to move to different states and countries?  Up until you're a
certain rank, you'll have to pay for their housing, food, etc with no reimbursement from the military.  Are you able to take
orders without question?  Do strenuous physical activity?  Live in a
barracks with other women and no privacy?  Obey all the rules?

Here are some articles that might help you:

Which Military Branch To Join | Joining The Armed Forces - US ...

10 Impressive Pros and Cons of Joining the Army | ConnectUS

List of 15 Big Pros and Cons of the Air Force | ConnectUS

s.bruinix
by New Member on Dec. 12, 2016 at 6:55 PM
Yes I have kids and I am married

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Her profile says she has 3 kids and I'm guessing that she is not married because of the reference to SO. Single mom, 3 dependents ... 

Quoting gunsgirl:

do you have kids?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)