Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 18 yo dd is going into basic training

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:32 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have not been on cm for quite some time. My now 18 yo dd moved out of our home 6 months ago, graduated high-school in Dec early and is going into the Marines end of January.She has had MUCH chaos with the roommates she has had (their apartment was searched by cops and one roommate flew the coop and left out of state before the cops got him but another roommate they found drug paraphernalia in his room and marijuana and he has already had his first court case, awaiting his next one, the other roommate had an alcohol problem and went into rehab but came out 2 weeks ago and is drinking again (but trying to control it) Hope it works... but doubtful. I could go on and on but sure hope the service wakes her up and makes her 'fly right'. Anyone else have a kid move out so soon and have such dilemmas? Did your teen or young adult improve after bootcamp?

by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

My son didn't go through any of the stuff your did. He went away to college and hated it. he came home gave us the summer and shipped out to boot camp. He went Army.  Its nearly killed me. He did his 4 years. he deployed twice to Afghanistan. He came out much more mature. He now understand why we did the things we did ( push him to do his best, never let him quit)  He is extremely family oriented. He was before but after being with so many guys that had no family support he gets it. Hugs and prayers to you.

Elle.tea.22
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:45 AM
I was on my own and in college at 16 and I never would have lived in that mess. If she associates with people like that, she might have been upto something. Let's hope she's on the up and up and not get caught up in that crap
johnny4ever
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sure that is frustrating for you to hear and see.Hugs and prayers to you all.

cat4458
by Member on Jan. 17, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

My son didn't go through any of the stuff your did. He went away to college and hated it. he came home gave us the summer and shipped out to boot camp. He went Army.  Its nearly killed me. He did his 4 years. he deployed twice to Afghanistan. He came out much more mature. He now understand why we did the things we did ( push him to do his best, never let him quit)  He is extremely family oriented. He was before but after being with so many guys that had no family support he gets it. Hugs and prayers to you.

Wow, that is so... encouraging. I don't know that much about the service so this is a totally new thing for me and as much as she needs to grow up, the running away from life is bothering me some. She's given up on all things whether it's sports, jobs, friends, etc I'm just hoping and praying that this isn't one... more thing esp since this would be the ticket to help her the most. She is running away from us, her friends (well x friends that were good for her)life,etc she is saying she wants to go over and FIGHT!!

cat4458
by Member on Jan. 17, 2017 at 11:11 AM

Quoting Elle.tea.22: I was on my own and in college at 16 and I never would have lived in that mess. If she associates with people like that, she might have been upto something. Let's hope she's on the up and up and not get caught up in that crap

So true, I just hope she isn't too with her being so secretive about her life who knows. We never say never because she has done some things we didn't think she would do but drugs, I'm still clinging to "I don't think so" but she does love the drama, but the problem is she could get caught up in it too. Birds of a feather flock together and she could be there at the wrong place at the wrong time, etc

Elle.tea.22
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2017 at 4:27 PM
The drama loving will not sit well in the military. Specially for females. Once you're "that female" it will follow you till someone puts you out.

Quoting cat4458:

Quoting Elle.tea.22: I was on my own and in college at 16 and I never would have lived in that mess. If she associates with people like that, she might have been upto something. Let's hope she's on the up and up and not get caught up in that crap

So true, I just hope she isn't too with her being so secretive about her life who knows. We never say never because she has done some things we didn't think she would do but drugs, I'm still clinging to "I don't think so" but she does love the drama, but the problem is she could get caught up in it too. Birds of a feather flock together and she could be there at the wrong place at the wrong time, etc

Hottmomma607
by Group Admin on Jan. 18, 2017 at 1:19 AM
((Hugs)) Sorry she's gone through a lot.

Quoting cat4458:

I
have not been on cm for quite some time. My now 18 yo dd moved out of
our home 6 months ago, graduated high-school in Dec early and is going
into the Marines end of January.She
has had MUCH chaos with the roommates she has had (their apartment was
searched by cops and one roommate flew the coop and left out of state
before the cops got him but another roommate they found drug paraphernalia
in his room and marijuana and he has already had his first court case,
awaiting his next one, the other roommate had an alcohol problem and went
into rehab but came out 2 weeks ago and is drinking again (but trying
to control it) Hope it works... but doubtful. I could go on and on but
sure hope the service wakes her up and makes her 'fly right'. Anyone
else have a kid move out so soon and have such dilemmas? Did your teen or young adult improve after bootcamp?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 1:24 AM
That's a horrible idea!

I went into the military at 18 and it was the biggest mistake of life.

They are all alcoholic drug addict losers.

Please tell her to go to college instead!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:07 AM
2 moms liked this
You sound stupid. This is a military forum. The majority of us are either enlisted/commissioned ourselves or married to a service member. I can assure you that most aren't drug addicted losers. Maybe your issue was failure to adapt and that's why it was the biggest mistake of your life. Stay away from this forum if you think so low of the military.

Quoting Anonymous 1: That's a horrible idea!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:10 AM
Sure.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You sound stupid. This is a military forum. The majority of us are either enlisted/commissioned ourselves or married to a service member. I can assure you that most aren't drug addicted losers. Maybe your issue was failure to adapt and that's why it was the biggest mistake of your life. Stay away from this forum if you think so low of the military.

Quoting Anonymous 1: That's a horrible idea!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)