Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Retirement

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
The hubby is retiring early next year after almost 22 years in the military. It's an interesting time right now and our heads are spinning. He has been taking the course on base for people getting ready to retire. We know it's going to be a huge adjustment. We've decided to stay in our current location (kids are in high school, all grandparents are close by). Both of us will be looking for new jobs (I've been a SAHM for years).

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2017 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 2, 2017 at 4:28 PM

Have him get with the local DAV - they can help with his VA claim.

Make sure you have a paycheck saved as they hold the last pay for several weeks.  I can't remember if it was 15 or 30 days...  Dh retired in 2014.

Good luck!

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 10:21 PM
I'm in the same boat, my husband retires in February, his terminal leave starts the 2nd week in December,
denise3680
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2017 at 11:51 AM

Make sure that if you used any of his benefits for school, that he has the allotted amount of time in or left so that you do not have to pay it back. they will not let you know at time of outprocessing:/ Put money away for emergencies and if they hold his pay for longer than 30 days.  I paid extra on every bill the month before just to make sure we would be ok. make sure all of his records are in order.  If you have any supplemental insurance it is good to keep it, tricare for retirees is not as good as active duty and the dental is atleast 114 a month or more and it comes right out of his retirement pay.  He just retired last november, but he ensured that everything was taken care of before he got all the way out, it is easier to get done and faster as long as he is still active duty.

Idkmyscreenname
by Member on Nov. 11, 2017 at 5:09 PM
DH retired almost 2 years ago. It has been rough and many, many, people I know have had almost the same experiences. Be patient with your husband if he seems lost, unable to adjust, emotional.

It wasnt exciting like we thought it would be, it was damn scary.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)