Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

shipping to a loved one in the service

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2017 at 4:09 PM
  • 6 Replies

There has got to be a less expensive way to ship something overseas to Japan. Isn't there a military discount or is that a thing of the past? Anyone have a clue? I looked it up on line and it didn't show anything but UPS and Fedx and for something 1 pound it was $72. Sending regular postal service it was over $89. How do people send care packages then? Sending just a letter is just the price of a stamp but it takes longer but there is nothing exorbitant on a letter and it's not the weight that makes the price more or maybe so. Maybe more than 1 lb would be over $200. Anyone know of a way that isn't so expensive???

by on Oct. 2, 2017 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 2, 2017 at 4:30 PM

Are you sending to a PSC box or to an address in Japan?  A PSC box is no more expensive than shipping to the next state using USPS

cat4458
by Member on Oct. 2, 2017 at 4:36 PM

Quoting jas_momof2:

Are you sending to a PSC box or to an address in Japan?  A PSC box is no more expensive than shipping to the next state using USPS

On the address it doesn't say PSC (What do the initials stand for?)

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 2, 2017 at 5:05 PM

postal service center...

Every member should have a PSC address while in Japan.  PSC 37 Box 0000 APO, AP blah blah blah for example.

That box is treated like a US address.

Quoting cat4458:

Quoting jas_momof2:

On the address it doesn't say PSC (What do the initials stand for?)

Mizuagi
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2017 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, what she said. ^^ 

If you have an address for him with an "APO," then it shouldn't be that much. I usually go and get free boxes at the post office and those medium sized ones they provide, you can stuff it and it can get pretty heavy if you want and they charge me about $17 to send it. When my husband first left to Korea, I had to send him kinda bigger stuff, so I used one of the bigger boxes I had left over from when we moved, and I filled that one up too and it was about $28 to send. 

karene999
by Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 3:23 PM

You should be sending mail to a FPO/APO address, not an street address in Japan. Go to the post office and get the flat rate shipping boxes. If you can fit it in a box then it ships for one price.

Marinefranksmom
by Member on Oct. 29, 2017 at 4:24 PM
When my Marine son was deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, he had a military (APO/FPO) address and the boxes we sent him regularly didn't cost more than about $20-30. I believe they were flat rate boxes and to repeat the above, mailing to a military address costs the same as sending boxes in the USA. You have to fill out customs forms which you can easily get at your post office, and you have to know what kinds of things you can't send to them in-country - things like alcohol, aerosols, anything flammable or hazardous, and I think cigarettes & smoking materials, etc. You can check this with your military member and the post office.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)