Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your experiences living on post?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2017 at 5:18 PM
  • 20 Replies
We lived on post 20 years ago, in NJ. And never again after that. DH is retired and on Monday we move to housing on post. Cant beat the price and all of the amenities on post.

Did you like it, no, why?
by on Nov. 11, 2017 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetsouthrnMom
by Member on Nov. 11, 2017 at 5:34 PM

I think your experiences depend a lot on your community, where you are, and what type of housing you are in. Personally, my family's experiences have really been one way or the other depending on a house or an area. I can't say I hate it, because I don't. I have had some great experiences. But I can't say I love it either. 

I actually didn't know retiree's could live on post, so I learned something new today :-)

Overall though, if you plan to stay a part of the community on post, use the amenities, and all that comes with it, I think living on post can be a great choice. 

Idkmyscreenname
by Member on Nov. 11, 2017 at 5:59 PM
We will be in Aberdeen, MD. The base has bowling, movies, two golf courses, its on the water, MWR has all the water toys to rent, three pools, gyms, disc golf (I am super excited about this), camping, we can rent cabins. And ao much more. Its like a resort. I hope we like it.

Quoting sweetsouthrnMom:

I think your experiences depend a lot on your community, where you are, and what type of housing you are in. Personally, my family's experiences have really been one way or the other depending on a house or an area. I can't say I hate it, because I don't. I have had some great experiences. But I can't say I love it either. 

I actually didn't know retiree's could live on post, so I learned something new today :-)

Overall though, if you plan to stay a part of the community on post, use the amenities, and all that comes with it, I think living on post can be a great choice. 

libbybell
by Member on Nov. 11, 2017 at 7:42 PM
One time. Never again. Housing went in our personal storage. We I caught them in the act she got all mad. They charged us for things that were damaged when we got there. We even had pictures and papers documenting it. The house was 40 years old. Mold in all the closets. 1100 Sq ft for an e6.

We just bought a home. I am done living in small old expensive base housing.
Idkmyscreenname
by Member on Nov. 11, 2017 at 7:50 PM
Oh wow, what state? Our house was built 2 years ago and its 2000 sq feet. Sounds like you had a very bad experience.

Quoting libbybell: One time. Never again. Housing went in our personal storage. We I caught them in the act she got all mad. They charged us for things that were damaged when we got there. We even had pictures and papers documenting it. The house was 40 years old. Mold in all the closets. 1100 Sq ft for an e6.

libbybell
by Member on Nov. 11, 2017 at 7:52 PM
Nas Meridian Mississippi . My husband wants to go back. I refuse to follow him if he does. He has 5 years until retirement.

Quoting Idkmyscreenname: Oh wow, what state? Our house was built 2 years ago and its 2000 sq feet. Sounds like you had a very bad experience.
Quoting libbybell: One time. Never again. Housing went in our personal storage. We I caught them in the act she got all mad. They charged us for things that were damaged when we got there. We even had pictures and papers documenting it. The house was 40 years old. Mold in all the closets. 1100 Sq ft for an e6.

Idkmyscreenname
by Member on Nov. 11, 2017 at 8:23 PM
I dont blame you, that sounds miserable

Quoting libbybell: Nas Meridian Mississippi . My husband wants to go back. I refuse to follow him if he does. He has 5 years until retirement.

Quoting Idkmyscreenname: Oh wow, what state? Our house was built 2 years ago and its 2000 sq feet. Sounds like you had a very bad experience.

Mizuagi
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2017 at 12:53 AM

Pretty much the same for us. We lived on post at Fort Carson, Colorado for a year and left as soon as we could.. there was mold all over the place and maintenance was a pain for them to come out and fix stuff. Everytime we had to call the office for something, they never answered even though they were there. My husband had to go in to talk to them when we needed something fixed. When we moved in, the home was disgusting and I had to clean a ton before we got our stuff and they still expected it to be clean.. which I did. It was way cleaner than how I received it, but they still charged us for a cleaning team. They made my husband and I put our trash cans into our car and go wash them at the car wash... while it was snowing. We got so sick afterwards. Then they tried charging us for a ton of stuff we didn't do... "damage" that wasn't even there. They also tried charging us for the last month twice. I remember having to leave work when my husband called me on the phone and told me and I went into their office and did crazy amounts of yelling.. that is the first and only time I have ever raised my voice at working people like that, because they were trying to charge us like $3,000 more for made up stuff. I was that crazy woman that yells and everyone stares at, but in that moment I didn't care. hahah 

This pretty much turned into a long rant about housing, but I think it's just the company. My husband and I agreed to never live on post housing anymore unless we're in Germany or Hawaii, but who knows. We're about to move to Fort Hood, Texas soon and we're consindering giving it a try since it's a different company. 

Quoting libbybell: One time. Never again. Housing went in our personal storage. We I caught them in the act she got all mad. They charged us for things that were damaged when we got there. We even had pictures and papers documenting it. The house was 40 years old. Mold in all the closets. 1100 Sq ft for an e6. We just bought a home. I am done living in small old expensive base housing.

Idkmyscreenname
by Member on Nov. 12, 2017 at 2:23 AM
That sounds horrible. Do you remember what company it was?

Quoting Mizuagi:

Pretty much the same for us. We lived on post at Fort Carson, Colorado for a year and left as soon as we could.. there was mold all over the place and maintenance was a pain for them to come out and fix stuff. Everytime we had to call the office for something, they never answered even though they were there. My husband had to go in to talk to them when we needed something fixed. When we moved in, the home was disgusting and I had to clean a ton before we got our stuff and they still expected it to be clean.. which I did. It was way cleaner than how I received it, but they still charged us for a cleaning team. They made my husband and I put our trash cans into our car and go wash them at the car wash... while it was snowing. We got so sick afterwards. Then they tried charging us for a ton of stuff we didn't do... "damage" that wasn't even there. They also tried charging us for the last month twice. I remember having to leave work when my husband called me on the phone and told me and I went into their office and did crazy amounts of yelling.. that is the first and only time I have ever raised my voice at working people like that, because they were trying to charge us like $3,000 more for made up stuff. I was that crazy woman that yells and everyone stares at, but in that moment I didn't care. hahah 

This pretty much turned into a long rant about housing, but I think it's just the company. My husband and I agreed to never live on post housing anymore unless we're in Germany or Hawaii, but who knows. We're about to move to Fort Hood, Texas soon and we're consindering giving it a try since it's a different company. 

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2017 at 2:38 AM
Other than during his first assignment and now on recruiting duty, we always chose base living. That’s two bases. The one in Okinawa was an apartment, so it was a bit small... But we always have had very little furnishings and very little stored goods. So it was fine, and as long as we had our dehumidifier going, we had no mold issues. That building was quite old, but we loved it for the most part. The second one was at MCAS Cherry Point in NC, and it was a boring base but nice in that it was rural and quiet. Lots of amenities like the one you’re moving to including zip lining. It was close to treasured beaches too, and had some river front areas. The housing was hit or miss for people... some of the old housing was still in use and hated, but we were lucky enough to get a brand new house... Second renters. And our only complaints were that it wasn’t very sound proof... The kids playing upstairs was loud for us downstairs in the living room... And the back yard was tiny. Otherwise we loved it. I will say that we had solar panels, and I’m not sure they were actually hooked up... The maintenance worker said it wasn’t, but our bill was never high. And one of the cable outlets was not wired at all, so it was basically not for anything(but they had a second one wired correctly). For us, those were no big deal. We prefer to live on base, so as long as the housing looks well we go for it.
Idkmyscreenname
by Member on Nov. 12, 2017 at 2:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. There are some things we expect to have to deal with, as with renting anywhere. I am hoping the amenities outweigh any negative. We saw the house and it has all new appliances, carpet and was very clean.

We always do our own upkeep when we rent, anyway, we will only ask maintenance for large things.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro: Other than during his first assignment and now on recruiting duty, we always chose base living. That’s two bases. The one in Okinawa was an apartment, so it was a bit small... But we always have had very little furnishings and very little stored goods. So it was fine, and as long as we had our dehumidifier going, we had no mold issues. That building was quite old, but we loved it for the most part. The second one was at MCAS Cherry Point in NC, and it was a boring base but nice in that it was rural and quiet. Lots of amenities like the one you’re moving to including zip lining. It was close to treasured beaches too, and had some river front areas. The housing was hit or miss for people... some of the old housing was still in use and hated, but we were lucky enough to get a brand new house... Second renters. And our only complaints were that it wasn’t very sound proof... The kids playing upstairs was loud for us downstairs in the living room... And the back yard was tiny. Otherwise we loved it. I will say that we had solar panels, and I’m not sure they were actually hooked up... The maintenance worker said it wasn’t, but our bill was never high. And one of the cable outlets was not wired at all, so it was basically not for anything(but they had a second one wired correctly). For us, those were no big deal. We prefer to live on base, so as long as the housing looks well we go for it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)