Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeding Issues?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:29 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 293 Total Views

I was just curious how many of your trached children also have feeding issues?  Lily started out with an NG tube, then bottle fed, back to NG tube, then a G tube, and now she can eat a little by mouth and the rest goes through the G tube.  Has anyone else gone through some of these different apparatuses?  What has been challenging for you when feeding your trached child?  Just curious.

God bless you always,
Keri

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mommy2apreme
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:14 PM
MaKayla has always had trouble when it came to eating by mouth. She still will only take a couple of bites. She also had a cleft-palate when she was born so on top of already having some "weak" swallowing issues she also had the cleft on top of it, which caused her to have a weak suck at birth. It has been repaired but she still continues to be skiddish about eating by mouth. Her OT told me that eating can be a bit uncomfortable for some kids with trachs. I just persistantly try to get her to eat at least 3 times a day so she can associate it with meal times, but even then we are lucky if she takes a couple bites and actually swallows. Most of the time we will put it in her mouth and she will immediately spit it out very rarely does she eat it and swallow. I feel your frustration, i'm going through the same thing. If you find out any further info. please let me know.

Thanks
Deidre
niviad
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:26 PM
charlie was going to have trouble from the beginning only because he also had a cleft lip. well b4 they fixed he never took the bottle. he had the ng tube b4 his trach surgery then they put in the g tube. after his lip repair i thought they would take the g tube out because he was taking the bottle nicely then at about 8 months he completely stopped taking the bottle so they had to leave the tube in. now he gets most of his feeds still thru the tube but my biggest concern is that he wont take any liquids by mouth only solids and the solids is mostly stage 3 gerber food. he will eat table food but not enough to take the tube out and definitely cant do that if he doesnt drink liquids either. my biggest challenge is making him drink liquids.
niviad
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Quoting mommy2apreme:

MaKayla has always had trouble when it came to eating by mouth. She still will only take a couple of bites. She also had a cleft-palate when she was born so on top of already having some "weak" swallowing issues she also had the cleft on top of it, which caused her to have a weak suck at birth. It has been repaired but she still continues to be skiddish about eating by mouth. Her OT told me that eating can be a bit uncomfortable for some kids with trachs. I just persistantly try to get her to eat at least 3 times a day so she can associate it with meal times, but even then we are lucky if she takes a couple bites and actually swallows. Most of the time we will put it in her mouth and she will immediately spit it out very rarely does she eat it and swallow. I feel your frustration, i'm going through the same thing. If you find out any further info. please let me know.

Thanks
Deidre

my son does the same thing but only with regular table food and in his case he will suck the flavor and keep whatever is left in his mouth. i have to go in and take it out myself. he does however will eat and swallow a whole jar of gerber dinners but not the fruit. a question does ur daughter tend to favor food with seasoning rather than sweet things cause charlie will not eat anything with sugar or sweet not even a lollipop.
jenbabs
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 1:12 AM
My son was eating perfectly fine for the first 3 months - in fact he was eating a bit too much (big eater). At that point he developed nystagmus so we went to the hospital and they did an MRI (he was intubated for the procedure). After the MRI he developed breathing and sucking problems. Within 2 weeks of being home he went from 13.6 lbs to 12 lbs and we were admitted back at the hospital. At this point he was aspirating on all of the various things tested so a g-tube with nissen was ordered. Also, he ended up developing laringomalacia  on so they put in  the trach.
Kerilinajones
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 11:07 AM
Lily also suffers from laringomalacia...she was always the loudest baby in the NICU until they placed her trach.  Up until about a month ago, Lily aspirated on every consistency of food and received nothing by mouth.  Then, all of a sudden, at her last video swallow study, she was swallowing beautifully!  Everything except thin liquids...in fact, we didn't even try those because we didn't want to push her.  We are very fortunate that Lily never lost the interest of eating by mouth.  She enjoys almost anything we put in.  She's still not eating enough by mouth to remove the G tube, but we are hopeful...especially if we get to remove her trach on Tuesday.

Thanks for the replies...it is definitely interesting to hear what other parents are going through.

God bless you always,
Keri
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)