Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I came out

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 261 Total Views

I made the momentous move of coming out to my mom, my friends, and my family. It was amazing. My mother hasn't been totally accepting but we are working on it. My friends have been amazingly helpful and supportive. I cannot believe it. I am so greatful for them.

How is everyone else doing?

by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FrogSalad
by Member on Jun. 18, 2011 at 7:12 AM

That's fantastic, ducky!  I'm glad it went well; I'm sure your mom will come around given time, she didn't have any idea before?

purpleducky
by Group Owner on Jun. 18, 2011 at 10:21 AM

She had suspected but she still didn't take it well.

Quoting FrogSalad:

That's fantastic, ducky!  I'm glad it went well; I'm sure your mom will come around given time, she didn't have any idea before?

KristinaNicole
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Congrats on coming out to your mom and hopefully things will go well over time.

celestegood
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 5:09 PM

We're great!  And I'm so happy that you finally came out!  I'm so happy for you!  I'm sure your mom will come through.  My husband took a long time to get used to Blake (my son) coming out...but now, he's doing well. 

Anyhow, hugs!  You are awesome.

FrogSalad
by Member on Jun. 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting FrogSalad:

Now she has to face it instead of be in denial about it. 

Now that it's been a a few days, how are you feeling about telling her?

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

purpleducky
by Group Owner on Jun. 25, 2011 at 8:05 PM

I still believe it didn't go well. She is still trying to lecture me on how what I am doing is going to harm my children.

Quoting FrogSalad:

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting FrogSalad:

FrogSalad
by Member on Jun. 25, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Quoting purpleducky:

I still believe it didn't go well. She is still trying to lecture me on how what I am doing is going to harm my children.

I'm so sorry.  I hope that with time and maybe some research on her part, she'll come to accept you for you. 

As the grown child of a closeted TG, who lived in emotional agony for decades, I can tell you that your children will be far less harmed by you living an authentic life than if you supposedly "protect" them by living as my dad did for far too long.  They will respect you more, they will learn the courage it takes to be themselves, they won't become collateral damage to your unhappiness (and blame themselves for your unhappiness because they have no conception of WHY you're unhappy).

The highlighted demonstrates one major issue that I continue to deal with into my forties, and I have almost zero relationship with my father as a direct result of him deciding that it was "best of the children" to live a closeted life.  Not because of being TG, but because hiding it caused constant emotional turmoil for the whole family. 

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.  (And if you think it would help to share my perspective with your mom, you're welcome to show her this).

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

purpleducky
by Group Owner on Jun. 25, 2011 at 9:58 PM
Thank you. You aren't the first to tell me this. I tried telling this to my mom but she won't listen. She is one of those that thinks she knows everything and cannot be told or convinced otherwise. Her way is the only way.

Quoting FrogSalad:

Quoting purpleducky:

I'm so sorry.  I hope that with time and maybe some research on her part, she'll come to accept you for you. 

As the grown child of a closeted TG, who lived in emotional agony for decades, I can tell you that your children will be far less harmed by you living an authentic life than if you supposedly "protect" them by living as my dad did for far too long.  They will respect you more, they will learn the courage it takes to be themselves, they won't become collateral damage to your unhappiness (and blame themselves for your unhappiness because they have no conception of WHY you're unhappy).

The highlighted demonstrates one major issue that I continue to deal with into my forties, and I have almost zero relationship with my father as a direct result of him deciding that it was "best of the children" to live a closeted life.  Not because of being TG, but because hiding it caused constant emotional turmoil for the whole family. 

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.  (And if you think it would help to share my perspective with your mom, you're welcome to show her this).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamieNicoleD
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 10:40 AM
There are no absolutes in life but I can tell you that every aspect, including my children are perfect in my life. :o) Zero harm to anyone.

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting FrogSalad:

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting FrogSalad:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 7:50 AM

hugsI hope it is going better for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)