Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

H&R block vs. do it yourself

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:01 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 2237 Total Views

We all know that H&R Block is easy. They do everything for us. They guarantee your return to be accurate and that brings peace of mind. BUT did you know that they often do not look for all of the deductions that you are entitled to?

My suggestion is to look at Turbo Tax Online. It's sooo easy. They walk you through the whole thing, step by step. They ask about every possible deduction you can think of and some you never knew were deductible.

Did you know that you can deduct job search costs such as mileage, resume printing, food while traveling for job search etc...?

Did you also know that you can deduct as a charitable donation anything you donated to Salvation Army or Good Will?

Turbo tax will help you find all of these deductions. Our tax refund literally tripled in size from H&R Block to using Turbo tax.

So what about the guarantee? Well Turbo Tax also has an Audit Checker. It lets you know how your deductions compare to the rest of the United States. It also will tell you how likely you are to be audited. It's sooo simple, AND you can deduct the COST of Turbo Tax on your next year's taxes. Oh, and you don't have to pay upfront for Turbo Tax. Just like H&R Block your fees can be deducted from your refund and in the end the fees are FAR FAR lower than any of the other firms that do taxes.

But I get my refund so quick with H&R Block. Well...would you rather get $4000 today (or tomorrow) OR get $7000 with Turbo Tax 10 days later? It's 10 days. I don't know many people who make that kind of money in 10 days.

Think about it, check it out. TRY it out. It costs you NOTHING until you click "FILE" at the very end. You can work your taxes up to the end and even do the audit check for NO cost. It only charges you AFTER you file the taxes.

Join me in this group! Learn about finances, offer support and advice! http://www.cafemom.com/group/108534/

Do you really want to call someone out? Tell them what you really think? Do you want to be able to SAY ANYTHING? Well "put on your big girl panties" is the forum for you! We don't delete. We cuss.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/104777
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Utopia360
by New Member on Jan. 8, 2010 at 9:36 AM

If you have a computer I will give you all a tip. Turbo Tax or taxcut software to do taxes at home is the same thing . plus if you buy it you usually get a free virus software with purchase. Its a good time to update your virus protector.The price is the same when you go to file online with the online ones. Plus all your info is on your computer to reprint or come back to without having to remember online passwords. it updates its self when you install with all the new tax laws as online. H & R and those places are a rip off. You are getting a loan of your own money and not even all of it. Plus they charge you for paper work. They are doing on their computers what you could do.They are not trained CPA's. Most software also secures you of audits. It aslo helps you understand the tax forms better.Just have all w'2s ans tax bills with you and take your time. Its fun , its not scary.

michiganmom116
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM

There are SO MANY online tax prep services, H & R Block included.  I usually use 3 or 4 to put the info into and see who can get me the better return.  They are typically all the same and it costs nothing to do this, you just don't hit the "file my return" button.  Once I get all the info from them, I copy it down onto a 1040 form and either mail or e-file it myself.

I've used TaxBrain, TaxSlayer, H & R Block, and Turbotax, all online.

6under1roof
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 4:54 PM

i used to have h&r block when i worked for walmart cause we got a discount and i knew NOTHING about filing taxes. They actually charge you $400 (out of your refund) to pay for their "gold guarantee" so that if they DO screw up and the govt says you owe, they will pay. What a crock.

I have a lady that does mine for me. She rocks my tax socks off!

My Family!

AngelMama6203
by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM

While I do agree that H&R Block's fees are outrageous... I used to work there....

We ARE trained to look for and ask you about deductions you never thought about, and our software helps with that.  If we miss something and you find it we'll amend the return for free.

There is NOT a  $400 charge for any guarantee - they charge you by the form for each one used to prepare your return. The last year I worked there - 2 years ago - the biggest pay everything guarantee was only $30 - I'm not saying it's not ridiculous, it's just not $400

H&R does have a free-file version you can do at home if you have a relatively simple return, make less than - I believe it is $57,000 this year, and are under a certain age.

Did you know that an accounting DEGREE only consists of 1 whole class on taxes? Or that you can walk into any H&R Block office and have them go all the way through EVERYTHING (and if you pay attention, get all the info you need to DIY) and walk away, scott-free?

Did you know that you can reduce your taxable income AND get a tax credit by opening a traditional IRA - and you have until 4/15 to do it and you can still claim it on the previous year's taxes??

You can deduct the cost of any tax preparation on the following year's taxes - but only IF you file a schedule A.

Even comparison shopping... it's not that any one company can GET YOU a better return, it's all in your income, deductions, and credits. If you're thorough when doing it yourself, they should all come out the same - if they don't, you missed something somewhere.

My best tip - DO NOT be afraid of the IRS - they're not out for blood or your firstborn. If you don't avoid them they'll usually work with you and let you pay what you can afford per month on a payment plan if you owe.

excougarmama
by Group Owner on Feb. 8, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I disagree Angelmama6203. H&R Block around here charges outrageous fees.  By the time my SIL got done doing her taxes with them, and they were pretty simple, they said she was getting back $1200 and wanted to charge her $300 for filing them.

I took her same information, plugged it into Turbo Tax and for $87 worth of programs and fees got her $7000 dollars back and that was just federal. I really really really hate and do not trust H&R Block.

michiganmom116
by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I used to work for H & R Block over 15 years ago.  They charged, at that time, by the form.  It was $90 (at that time) for JUST the 1040!  Every additional form cost additional fees.  Rapid filing (new at the time) cost almost $100.  I am sure the fees have gone up since then.

Sorry, but I have always done my own taxes, most of the time without any software, except for the year I was married, and that was because my hubby had always had them done for him.  I took over after that.  Taxes have never been challenging for me.  I love the online programs that I can use to get the numbers, then I can e-file on my own.  I don't like to pay someone to do something I can do myself; then again, I've got the education and the experience.

kbloomhall
by on Jul. 21, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Thank you for all the information. I will be doing my own taxes this year with this information. I have always gone to H&R Block, just because it was easy and I got the money back quick. I hated how I was treated at an H&R office this past year and will never go back.

I appreciate all the information! Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN